iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A letter from Vietnam 50 years ago

Started by 21incher, November 07, 2017, 08:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I was going through some old scrapbooks of mine and came across a return letter from a soldier that I received over 50 years ago and decided to make a video of it before something happens to me and it dissappears forever. I was about 12 years old and used to write to soldiers from my area and this is one of the return letters that I saved. With veterans day approaching , I would like to thank all veterans for their service.

https://youtu.be/VmP6DwhyZF4
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Chuck White

Thank you for posting, that was very nice!

AND, a big thank you for the THANK YOU!

I also thank all the other veterans for their service!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DanG

Thanks for posting that!  I'm sure your letter meant a lot to Walt and I'll bet he passed it around to his buddies.

Thank you for remembering us too.  :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

PA_Walnut

That's awesome. Did you ever followup with him? Is he still around?
How grand would it be to meetup after all these years? It's a movie in the making.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

21incher

Quote from: PA_Walnut on November 08, 2017, 06:01:10 AM
That's awesome. Did you ever followup with him? Is he still around?
How grand would it be to meetup after all these years? It's a movie in the making.
He returned safely and many years later we become friends. He became like a big brother to many of us in the area. Sadly he was killed by an auto accident in his late 30's.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for this and thanks to all the vets out there!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

gspren

Thanks for posting. I remember while patrolling the coast of Vietnam on an old "Tin Can" mail would only come once every few weeks and it was a big occasion, especially if you or a buddy got some snacks that were still edible. Even now with computers and world wide phone service I'll bet a letter that you can touch and hold is cherished.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

goose63

Thank you for sharing that mail from home ment a lot to us over there
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

DPatton

Thanks for sharing such a great post. Thank you to all of the Vets and their families for their sacrifices.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Ed_K

That was really kool. Thursday I have a great friend that drove down from the Canadian Border in Vt. so we could talk of old times in the Air Force. I hauled fresh water to the refugee's  at Utapow Thailand. (been so long I can't even remember where I was) :D from may 75 to nov 75 when I came back to the world. We had a good day.
Ed K

coxy

thanks to all the vets and there family's 

thecfarm

I want to thank all Veterans that made this such a great place to live.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AlaskaLes

Amen to that CFarm!!
We wouldn't be a part of the greatest nation on earth if all of those soldiers over the past 250 years hadn't given it ALL to build and protect what we have today.
My deepest respect and gratitude to all of you.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

justallan1

Thanks for posting this letter and a very heartfelt thank you to all the folks that have served and given the rest of us the chances we are given in this great country.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Roxie

That sure is beautiful.  Thank you for sharing it with us.
Say when

newoodguy78

Excellent letter and thank you for sharing. Thank you to all veterans as well.

Thank You Sponsors!