iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My First Elk

Started by justallan1, November 07, 2017, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

HAHA, Figured out how to get pics from the phone on here, so I'll share my little hunt.
I guess I have a bit of an unfair advantage on lots of folks, being that I work on a large ranch in Montana.
This is the first large game animal that I have ever shot in my life and I think it's fair to say that I'm now officially hooked.
I shot this cow elk with a CVA Wolf muzzleloader at about 150 yards. My little buddy that has helped me out in the past was dying to take me out hunting and show me the ropes and I'm here to tell you I really didn't think a 21 year old kid that's rather heavy could out pace me walking, boy was I wrong.
We got a herd of about 100 right off the bat, but they were just to far away and busted us. We put on a few mile hike trying to get them, but it wasn't happening. We jumped in the truck and outran them the easy way and got back on them after another short hike.
Reo was leading and we came over a saddle to find them in a rough draw and luckily we were well within what I felt comfortable shooting. I had just set down my pack and tripod 30foot behind us and the elk were leaving, so I sat on my butt and shot off my knee. I thought it was a bit high, but she made it less than 50 foot and was done, no kicking or nothing!
Here's a few pics of my big prize. It's not the biggest in the world, but I'm sure a happy camper.
The knives shown were both made 100% by my younger brother in Miles City, Montana.

justallan1

Next I'm going for a deer with my crossbow. ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

catalina

tule peak timber

Nice ! Next comes the sawsall down the middle. Looking good !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. With that much meat you can do it all - sausage, burger, roast, cubed steaks, corned elk, etc. We will be expecting you to show up on the food thread now.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Hey, nice going and that will be some tasty meat. 

Did you get the teeth?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Awesome! Beautiful elk, and nice blades by your brother! SE Montana has some of the finest elk hunting there is, the trick is getting access as most everything is private (which is also a big reason why the hunting is so good). They got a 400 B&C bull out of my uncle's camp this year,  and I believe that was an archery hunt!
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

Good job, one shot, one kill. Good eating now. 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

justallan1

Yup, I got the teeth, or I should say that Reo got the teeth for me because I didn't think of it.
I took it to the local meat cutter here. They do a great job, make awesome snack sticks AND they take sheds that I find as partial payment.
Now the part to brag on a bit.....With this one and the bull someone shot for me this year I'll be able to share quite a bit with some families here that it will really help out, plus it's way better for them than what's to be found in the store.
That alone makes it just all that much more rewarding for me.

red

Your a good man , but we already knew that .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

Nice elk, nice beautiful knives, nice tractor!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Quote from: Chuck White on November 07, 2017, 08:59:08 PM
Nice elk, nice beautiful knives, nice tractor!

Thanks. I got a laugh at the tractor part of that. Everyone on the ranch has their own tractor, truck(s), 4-wheeler, ETC. to use and this one I accidently basically inherited by smoking in it 9 years ago. Everything works perfect, but it definitely needs a softer clutch. When we have to buy hay I use this one for unloading trucks and at 48 round bales per truck and 4 trucks running together, that's pretty near 800 times you have to punch in that clutch. You step out and the first couple steps are kinda "iffy".
For being nearly the oldest tractor on the ranch it's only been to the shop one time in nine years, other than that I've taken care of it myself.

coxy

what do you do with the teeth  ???

thecfarm

Thanks for the story. And congrats on the first elk.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: coxy on November 08, 2017, 06:13:18 AM

The canine teeth from my 2012 Elk showing extensive wear rings.  They are also called "ivories", but they are not ivory.

One of mine on the left and Marty's on the right made into pendants.  The worn portion is also sometimes sliced off and set into a ring.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

To be totally honest....I personally have no idea, but these guys save them like they are gold. The one explanation that I've heard was for making jewelry.
They call them "Elk Ivory" or "eye teeth" here and I think there are only two of them, but I'm not positive on that.

Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Congrats Alan.
now you have the gunpowder sickness in addition to any others you may have acquired over the years.
I read somewhere that the so called Ivories evolved from when Elk had tusks or saber tooth like teeth
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

Quote from: Magicman on November 08, 2017, 07:09:58 AM

The canine teeth from my 2012 Elk showing extensive wear rings.  They are also called "ivories", but they are not ivory.

One of mine on the left and Marty's on the right made into pendants.  The worn portion is also sometimes sliced off and set into a ring.
Quote from: justallan1 on November 08, 2017, 07:19:05 AM

To be totally honest....I personally have no idea, but these guys save them like they are gold. The one explanation that I've heard was for making jewelry.
They call them "Elk Ivory" or "eye teeth" here and I think there are only two of them, but I'm not positive on that.

thanks ;D  they look cool with the rings   forgot to say congrats on your elk  :)

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!