iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Needing a drawing for a small TF project

Started by opticsguy, November 07, 2017, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I am working on a proposal for a preservation project which involves the design and construction of a TF structure.

This preservation project will combine volunteer resources along with materials donations of many individuals and companies. In order to make this a winning presentation I am gathering up both historical information and current resources and am in need of a professional look.

I am in need of a drawing of a TF building that is 8ft wide, 16ft long, 12 ft high and an 8/12 pitch gable style roof.  Using either 8"x8" or 10"x10" posts.  The larger posts better relates to the historic nature of this project. Would only need the TF portion of the structure.

This preservation project is a structure to be installed on site of an existing 730 year old Douglas fir "cookie" currently exposed to the wet rainy conditions found here on the west slopes of Washington State.

So am requesting the help of someone here with computer/design skills willing to donate a little time and effort to supply a drawing of this structure I can use in the presentation.

Thank you!!!!

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

opticsguy

OP here, no replies to this posting, gonna be crying soon.

What simple drawing program could someone recommend for this project?  Or would it be simpler for me to drag out the paper, pencil, ruler and get started? 

Thank you!!

ChugiakTinkerer

I guess everyone's waiting for the other guy to start the conversation!

The uncertainty folks may be feeling is due to not understanding what exactly you're looking for in the way of a drawing?  My first impression was for something that would satisfy a local building inspector, but from your second post and rereading the OP I'm thinking perhaps it's more of a conceptual drawing?  Perhaps something to show a local board to garner support for the project?

Sketchup is an amazing program for doing conceptual visualization.  If you are looking for something like my cabin timberframe design, I might be able to help you out.  It would just be a basic structure with no joinery to speak of.  Send me a note if you're interested.

Woodland Mills HM130

opticsguy

Thank you ChugiakTinkerer!!

Yes, a conceptual drawing for presentation and just the timber framing part, no need for details about roofing materials etc.  The final structure might be somewhat different so simply a concept is good enough.

4 posts,  and whatever other timbers might be needed for a such a simple structure, crown post, tie beam, ridge beam, etc. 

My thoughts are a roof that would overhang on all 4 sides about 2 feet.

I can cut a 24" diameter log into lumber a lot faster then I could even learn sketchup.............

Thank you very much for your reply!!!!!!!!

opticsguy

OP here again, one more time. 

Thank you to one person who sent me some drawings.  ;D

Also, had a brief epiphany and googled 8 x 16,  4 post timber-frame drawings and had a wide choice of options there.  There were many many other design options I had not thought of that could be used to better enhance this project.

Thank you to all!!

logman

Timberframehq.com has a 8x12 shed plan that I'm sure could be easily be changed to 16'.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

ChugiakTinkerer

Is this what you're going for?

It's a 8x16 frame based on Brice Cochran's 12x16 King Post plan.

Here are a couple of views...

Woodland Mills HM130

tamarackman

2 for 1

Timber Materials List
Project: opticsguy1
Name Qty W D L(ft) L(in) BF
Top Plate 2 10.0 10.0 24 240.0 400.0
Corner Post 4 10.0 10.0 16 150.5 533.3
Tie Beam 2 10.0 10.0 12 96.0 200.0
Mid Post Tenon 1 6.5 9.5 4 10.0 20.6
Brace 8 3.0 4.816 8 54.802 77.1
Rafter Unit 22 2.0 8.0 10 92.332 293.3
Susan 1 0.0 21.434 8 67.709 0.0

Brian_Weekley

e aho laula

opticsguy

WOW! WOW! WOW!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!
Great people on this forum and the information you all shared will greatly enhance my presentation!!

THANK YOU!!!

Thank You Sponsors!