iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free OWB Worth It?

Started by kyjondeere, November 07, 2017, 10:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjondeere

I have always wanted an OWB but have never pulled the trigger due to the up front costs.  I have an opportunity now to get a early 90s model Hardy for free.  Its been sitting for 10 years at a Co-Workers.  His father took it on trade for some work.  He says he doesn't know the history of it or what if anything is wrong with it but I can have it if I want it.  I can't imagine that its 100% functional or it would likely not have been taken out of service.

I can imagine that this could become a money pit that I regret big time.  Please provide any thoughts you may have on this.

P.S. My parents in-law gave us a free above ground swimming pool once.  After paying to have it installed, new liner, new deck, etc. etc.etc and continuous upkeep, it has been the most expensive free thing I've ever had.   ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

TKehl

Can you weld?  Can you do the install yourself.  If you do an install and it bombs would you replace it with a newer OWB?

I wouldn't add a wood stove just for the price.  However, it you wanted to add one anyway, this would be a good way to start.

I think the Hardy's are stainless perhaps?  If stainless, it can get brittle from heat over time making it crack and leak and harder to weld.  Good chance this is why it came out of service.

If you do weld on stainless, please use good PPE.  Hexavalent Chrome is nasty stuff that you don't want to breathe.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Woodcutter_Mo

IMO if you're in the market for a furnace, since it's free you could always pick it up and have it inspected by an experienced eye and get a professional opinion if there is an honest furnace dealer in the area.

I hear you on the pool, there was one on my dad's property that he bought. Needless to say after "keeping up" with it for a year we ended up giving it away, they really wanted it so they can deal with it    ;D :D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

E Yoder

You could at least fill it with water. If it doesn't leak you'll have yourself a deal.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

petefrom bearswamp

try running it without the install to the house
if it works, great, if not scrap it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

overclocking

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 08, 2017, 08:39:34 AM
try running it without the install to the house
if it works, great, if not scrap it.

Thats exactly what I was going to say. Fill it up, if it hold water fire it up stand alone unhooked from the house and see if it reaches temp and holds it. If so you got a steal.. if not scrap has value and they weigh a ton, literally.

coxy

just because it holds water cold don't mean a thing most wont leak on the out side cold only when hot if its been setting 10 years the water feed or return pipe maybe rusted off in side the stove  just think of the rust going through all the pumps and if you have hot air radiator the rust will plug it all most instantly  JMOP I would save up money and get a good used one or a new one  you are going to have close to a grand in pipe ,fittings, pumps and what ever else you need to buy and if its junk then you have stuff you will never use in less you go get a good one  I would leave it set 10 more years AGAIN JMOP  good luck in what ever you do PS  chasing holes in a rusted stove is not fun been there done that a few times 

lopet

Wouldn't pass on freebie.  Play with it without hooking it up like others said, find out what it needs and take it from there.  Probably $ 150 in scrap.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!