iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help: Looking to add a wood burner

Started by presta24, December 26, 2017, 05:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

presta24

Looking to add a wood burner to our typical gas forced are furnace. Our house isnt that big so I am thinking I can get away with a smaller furnace. We are heating maybe 1200sq.

Looking for tips on a good stove that wont break the bank. Also curious how much of the installation I can do my self and what costs are associated with that. I have an existing "chimney" but I am sure it isnt lined with fire brick, its just what the water heater and furnace vent to. So I am guessing the cheapest way would be to just pop it out the side of the basement wall and up the side of the house.

Thanks guys,
Chris

DelawhereJoe

Everything will depend on where you are and what your budget is? Lowes does carry a 3000 sq ft wood burning furnace for less then $1100 but is only available in the US. I can heat my house to almost 90° just from my wood stove without a blower from good oak and my ceiling fans running.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

presta24

I'd love to be in around $1500. And just for clarification, I'm looking to add one next to my existing furnace in the basement and tie it in to existing duct work

chet

First off check what your home owners insurance will allow. Many will not cover you with wood heat. Also check local codes to see if the chimney plans you are considering are permitted.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

presta24

Quote from: Chet on December 27, 2017, 06:43:11 AM
First off check what your home owners insurance will allow. Many will not cover you with wood heat. Also check local codes to see if the chimney plans you are considering are permitted.

Good call on the home owners. Will do.

DDW_OR

welcome to the Forum.
please add a location to your profile so we can see where you are. just city and state. we have members all over the world, even Antarctica  :D

you may have to add a one way damper to your duct work to prevent the wood heater air from venting into the gas forced air furnace.

the fewer elbows in the chimney the better the wood furnace will burn.
"let the machines do the work"

presta24

Quote from: DDW_OR on December 27, 2017, 11:01:44 AM
welcome to the Forum.
please add a location to your profile so we can see where you are. just city and state. we have members all over the world, even Antarctica  :D

you may have to add a one way damper to your duct work to prevent the wood heater air from venting into the gas forced air furnace.

the fewer elbows in the chimney the better the wood furnace will burn.

Thanks man, I am member on a ton of other forums. Just signed up to this one last night. Profile updated.

Thank You Sponsors!