iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to Forestry Forum

Started by Hstevens, November 07, 2017, 05:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hstevens

Hi everyone, my name is Hunter and I run a small sawmill and furniture business in Northport, Al. I've been doing woodwork for around 2 years now. Mostly learned from family and YouTube. My father in law owns a large construction company and decided one day that he wanted to build his own cabin on a creek on his property. Knowing I did woodwork he decided to do something I never thought would happen. He went out and bought a sawmill. Specifically a Norwood HD36 manual mill. He stated his reason was to use the mill to process the logs to lumber and I cut cut lumber and air dry for my projects.. After 2 years he hasn't felled a single tree for his project/cabin 😂... I've been sawing and air drying lumber to sell to other woodworkers and slowly learning the trade. Now the time has come to turn this "hobby business" into a serious company. We're going to be selling our Norwood and buying a fully hydraulic woodmizer. We've acquired two 24' shipping containers that we will be converting into dry kilns. We plan to use one as a softwood kiln and the other as a hardwood kiln. We felt this would keep one kiln around 15 days turnover and the other around 30-45 days. Anyway, if you have any questions or comments, just shoot! Also would like to thank my buddy Joey Grimes for telling me about this forum.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
You did not mention how the logs are getting from the woods to the sawmill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Say when

Hstevens

Quote from: thecfarm on November 07, 2017, 06:19:40 AM
Welcome to the forum.
You did not mention how the logs are getting from the woods to the sawmill.

Ahh forgot that tidbit! Well we have a few contacts that we get pine and W oak and R oak for free. Most other species we have to buy from local loggers. I also work with a guy who owns a tree service business at my full time job. Also to see how we load the logs on the mill, check out my gallery in profile. Perks of having a father in law with fancy "toys". Blessed is the best word that describes my situation.

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Hunter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Hunter,

A big old War Eagle and welcome to the FF even if you are right there in the middle of RT country. My BIL lives there in Northport.

I love my WM LT35HD mill but I would love the wider cut on even a LT40 and I ran an LT50 for a guy a couple months ago and it really spoiled me. Check out all the specs on your new mill and make sure it will do everything you need and want or at least as much as you can afford. You can find good deals on good used equipment on sponsor Sawmill exchange and sometimes the dealers have connections and contacts so check with them.

Good luck on your new enterprise. I hope it works well for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hstevens

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 07, 2017, 08:41:45 AM
Hunter,

A big old War Eagle and welcome to the FF even if you are right there in the middle of RT country. My BIL lives there in Northport.

I love my WM LT35HD mill but I would love the wider cut on even a LT40 and I ran an LT50 for a guy a couple months ago and it really spoiled me. Check out all the specs on your new mill and make sure it will do everything you need and want or at least as much as you can afford. You can find good deals on good used equipment on sponsor Sawmill exchange and sometimes the dealers have connections and contacts so check with them.

Good luck on your new enterprise. I hope it works well for you.

Haha Roll Tide! Thanks so much for your input! Seeing as my FIL is the benefactor of the business, I can't necessarily pick out the one we're gonna get. But I try to steer him toward what I feel my research and overall experience has shown me. Since I'll be the one operating and he will occasionally run it I hope to get the Lt40W super hydraulic. His personality of once he's serious about something, he'll get the best money can buy to do the job right. But of course we must sell the Norwood first. I'll be making a post on the sale page soon. I did just get the woodmizer winter savings pamphlet in the mail. And this would be the best time to buy new. Warranty is something we wish to have over buying used.

wesdor

Welcome to the Forum Hunter. Keep us posted on your progress. Sounds like you have a great plan.

Hstevens

Thanks! There's a lot I still need to learn. However, I'm gaining as much knowledge as I can to grow this in to something special.

Hstevens

I forgot to mention that we currently have a pole barn being built to house the mill and store some equipment under. Should be finished within the week if the weather holds. I'll be sure to post update pics.

Thank You Sponsors!