iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twitching after the storm

Started by 78NHTFY, November 06, 2017, 05:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

Mother Nature decided a few of my sticks needed to come down--was out of power for 7 days so walked the woods (couldn't listen to the DanG generator anymore >:(), cut what was damaged or down, twitched them out to the lanes with my little L2250 Kubota & Farmi winch, then picked them up with the Patu & Case Int'l.  Still have a couple dozen sticks to go which should go even easier: we expect some serious freezing this week with night temps in the twenties and maybe even teens!  Here's a pic of my little one man homeowner operation 8).  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

g_man

Looks like a nice little set up you have there. 7 days w/o power - that is a serious outage. We were very lucky- lots of damage all around us but our woods were hardly touched even though I could here the wind howling all night.

gg

Peter Drouin

We went 4 days no power, lost 3 trees.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I think 4 days with no power. In one small area I lost 4 trees. I have not been over my acres yet. Don't look bad,but only seen about 20 acres.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

I walked my woods today and found a few downed trees.
The thing that I thought was weird is that most of the trees dropped with the head to the west.
Has anyone else seen this?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GRANITEstateMP

78NHTFY,

Nice setup! What part of NH?  Over here in Nottingham we were out for 4 days. Lost a coupe on the woods but not as many as the Co-Op lost on their power lines :-\
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Stuart Caruk

I watched out my front window one winter as a very strong storm blew through bringing 70 MPH winds with almost 100 MPH gusts. Sadly it happened after 2 or 3 weeks of steady rain, followed by a week of freezing and another couple weeks of rain. The winds leaned my 140'+ tall firs over hard downwind, and then the gusts hit. One tree fell, which hit another and down like dominoes I watched almost 8 truckloads of Fir blow over. What a mess it made.

Wind will do that...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

John Mc

3 days without power here. Having a 5kW generator made it no big deal: with a bit of load management, I could do whatever was needed. I did get me serious about installing the fuel conversion kit so I can run my generator on on propane (500 gal buried tank) as well as gasoline. I did that with my last generator, just haven't gotten around to it on this one.

On the disappointing side: I lost a bunch of nice oaks, probably 15 or 20 on the 80 acres near the house. (I haven't even looked at the other property I own jointly with some other families in the area.)  One of the trees that came down was a 20" DBH White Oak, nice and straight with no branches for the first 35 feet. That one tipped up at the roots, so I'm hoping it's not damaged.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

campwags

Lucky here, only 36 hours w/o power.  Thought my son was going to go into withdrawals with no internet!  :D
A lot of downed trees around me but none on my property.  Barnstead was hit hard with roads out and trees down all over.
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

78NHTFY

g-man: ya, got some tired iron but manage to keep it running most of the time :D.  We've been a Tree Farm since '57, gotta keep up the tradition.  Actually, I go into the woods everyday: for me its what I do instead of going to church.  How're your trails doing with that new tractor?
Peter: I remember when I visited, you had some tall ones.  Three sticks of free wood? 
thecfarm: four days without power is long enough!  I'm amazed at how fragile our electric grid system is: this storm wasn't hardly mentioned and it did so much damage.  But I bet it didn't even budge any of your rocks ;D.
GAB: you can see in my pic the direction the trees fell: directly West!  Virtually all the trees I lost are the same.
GRANITEstateMP:  am in Cornish, right on Plainfield line.  Have been told this may have been hardest hit area for the NH Coop.
Stuart Caruk: ya, the wind was so strong (we are on a hill, 800 ft altitude) I thought the house windows were going to implode a couple of times.  About half my downed trees are broken off halfway up, the others are uprooted and down, or leaning on another tree.  Have been trying the "sizzwheel" cut to have them spin of the tree they are leaning on.  Scary....
John Mc:  I was 2 weeks out from installing a used (new to me) propane Generac generator :(.  Timing is everything.  It WILL be in before the next storm!  Sorry to hear about your oaks.  Will you be sawing some of them up on a mill?
campwags: I thinks the younger generation took it hard, but maybe that turned into some good family time?  I need the internet for my business (apt mgmt/rentals) so had to go to town for public wifi to stay in touch with tenants.  It wasn't that tough, although the longest without power I can remember.  I feel for the folks in Puerto Rico :o
All the best, Rob.

John Mc

78NHTFY -

It was a pretty big thing here in VT. 1/3 of the population lost power - that's more than the number who lost it in the big ice storm in '98. My county (Addison) was the worst hit in Vermont.

I don't own a saw mill, but will be arranging to get some of these logs sawed. As you can imagine, anyone with a sawmill is suddenly very popular (and very backed up).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bruno of NH

My power blinked and went back on.
4 houses up the road they lost power for 6 days:(
The community that I work in (Eastman)
Some folks lost it till Monday of this week.
My road into my house washed out pretty bad needed 4 loads to just fix the beginning part.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Autocar

Sunday afternoon we had tornado's here in western Ohio lots of damage . I have a woods that was right in line with the storm, I had 40 tree's to cut now I probably have a 140 to cut. Most of the red oak ran over a thousand foot a tree and the Bur oak is even bigger. Some are 70 feet to the first limb and all the limbs are gone others are broke off twenty feet above the ground . I seen one red oak that was broke off but the weird thing was a walnut splinter 12 feet long going though the center of the red oak. Looks like it opened up the splinetr started though the hole then and it closed up before it got all the way though. Going to be a slow logging job things are like match sticks laying around.
Bill

thecfarm

The storm did not bother the rocks at all.  :D
All that caused my problems was a fir tree about a foot across about 700 feet up the road. If that tree would of stayed uprighted,I would not of lost power.
I did notice you lost some nice looking trees. I have not been across the bog,but the ones that blew over was not much good anyways. 2 was rotten,half dead,one I knew about the other I could not tell. The group that feel over was white pine and was crooked. No loss there as far as logs go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maple flats

I guess we're lucky, The last time we lost power for more than 3-4 hours was during what we locally call the Labor Day Storm of 1998. With that we were without power for 4 1/2 days. We did fine, except I went to get some dry ice for the freezers and the demand was so high we were limited to 1 small block (if forget the weight), it was maybe 4" x 4" x 6" and to get it I had to stand in line for almost 2 hours. I hate lines.
Since we had a gas stove with standing pilots, we had about 25 neighbors over for 2 meals a day, we always have lots of food ahead (my wife is a prepper I guess). 2 or 3 neighbors came to help with the cooking, we made a block party of it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

78NHTFY

....when it blows it surely blows-down!(Old saying?)   Was trying to get ahead of the blow-down from the first storm and then came another one on Friday last with 40-50 mph winds, followed by a hard freeze.  A double top WP split and dropped one top right into my swimming pond.  It's now frozen in and there 'till Spring, I guess.   

Bruno of NH--No loss of electricity?  You must know the right people :D.  Hope you got that driveway repaired.  & take care of the hand: it won't heal right if you abuse it!
Autocar--what a storm you had!  Can't imagine that many trees down, what a shame.  At least with oak, it will last awhile when down so you have a bit of time to sort thru the mess.  Stay safe sorting thru those sticks.  I lived near Sandusky (Berlin Heights) for awhile and couldn't  believe how fast & furious storms would come off of Lake Erie.
thecfarm--like you said, the trees weren't too good:  almost all of them had something wrong--a bit of rot here, some woodpecker damage there; a split here; poor root support there.  Mother Nature knows how to get rid of the weak ;D
maple flats--I think we just heard that you made an open invitation to us all when next the power is out 8) 8).  Seeing as how fragile the electrical system is, you may be having visitors for awhile!

Thank You Sponsors!