iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

difficult pull cord start on Stihl 256

Started by doctorb, November 06, 2017, 04:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Forgive me, I don't spend much time on the Chainsaw board, so this may have been addressed previously. I have a problem with my Stihl 256 and I can find no answer here through Searching.

When I go to pull the cord, it pulls out for about 6-8 inches and then stops hard, almost like it's pulling back.  Hurts my hand.  I can sometimes pull through these sudden jerky stops to pull it out another 6-8 inches, where it stops hard again.  The stops seem to happen every 6-8 inches of cord pull.  Eventually, the stops grow less abrupt, I can pull the cord fully and the saw starts and runs great.  This is really annoying as it's now hard to use the saw, put it down for a bit, and then quickly restart it a minute of two later.

I hope I have explained it well enough for one of you experts to let me know what's up.

Thanks for your help.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

ladylake

Never heard of a Stihl 256,,  Take the recoil off and inspect,  sounds like the rope might be getting pinched every round, maybe needs a new rope or the spool is wore out or cracked.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Gearbox

Doc I have had that happen with a 55 rancher . Turned out to be just dirt buildup under the cover . just clean it up and give it a little lube .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

joe_indi

Carbon buildup on the piston and cylinder could be a possibility.(Increase in compression)
Play between the connecting rod and piston could be another possibility (crank moves to ignition point while piston is still moving up)
Try flooding the engine before you try starting. Do you still get the jerks? If  there are no jerks when the engine is flooded it could be the con rod play.
Try it with the switch in Off, if there are no jerks, it confirms the conrod play.
A temporary fix (sometimes) is to increase the electrode gap of the spark plug

doctorb

Thanks.  I'll give those things a try.  I'll also recheck the model of my Stihl.  I'm sure I got that wrong!

It's interesting, but it seems to happen after I have run the saw, although it doesn't take much use for this to occur.  Much less trouble starting when it's cold. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

Thought of something since the mention of heat was added to the conversation .I know nothing about the model mentioned but it could have a self advancing ignition coil .The 042 and 048 Stihls did and occasionally one would fail to advance which limited the saws power and speed,slower .
Now just the opposite might be happening if that's the coil design .I had a coil fail on full advance on a Briggs 18 HP twin engine .Even with electric start you could turn it over until it cooled off .

kenskip1

From what I am hearing it sounds like it could be hydrolocking.Mix from the carburetor is leaking into the cylinder causing the problem mentioned.Pull the spark plug the next time this occurs, then pull the rope.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

drobertson

Like others never heard of this model, but to the point, I had a poulan do the same, it was in the reel itself, 

sounds like an easy one once found,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

doctorb

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PartTimeJack

Had the same problem on my 250, the rope was binding on, and ended up tearing the rope. Replacing it fixed it.
Just a Farmer learnin to be a Jack.

Thank You Sponsors!