iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member of the Family

Started by JJinAK, November 06, 2017, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJinAK

I was talking to a friend of mine from work the other day, and we got to talking about chainsaws.  I mentioned this forum and how I really wanted to try a do a rebuild of on a saw.  He said he had one he would give me.  He picked it up in a garage sale a year or so ago and hasn't done anything with it.  He has no idea if it runs or not.  He paid $25 for it, and it's been in his garage ever since, and I could have it.

Turns out to be a Stihl 066.  At least I think its an 066.  The badge is really worn, so you sort of have to squint.  If you hold it just right, it sort of also looks like 088.  It is only the powerhead- no b/c, yet is roughly the size of an old Volkswagen.  The case looks to be in decent shape- no cracks or anything.  I pulled the cord a few times just to see how things cycled, and everything seemed to move freely.  The air filter was horrendous, but other than that, visually everything looks to be intact.

One question I have is trying to find a serial number that may correlate to the model number.  Is there one located on the saw?

I'm looking forward to taking this on.  Worst case I toss it in the garbage- best case she runs and I can sell it.  I certainly don't need anything this big.  I will try to post some pics once I clear a spot on the bench for it.

Updates to follow.

Jeff
MS461
MS362

sawguy21

Pop the muffler off and have a look at the piston, that will give a pretty good indication of condition. If it is scored do a pressure test before tearing the saw down, no point replacing just the p&c if an air leak caused the problem.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

630red

your in the right place,these guys will give you the right advice. am so happy i have found their input ;D

JJinAK

So a follow up to this saw-  decided to spend some time cleaning this thing up and trying to see exactly what I had to work with.  Lots of sawdust build up, especially around the filter/carb area.  Pulled the plug, and it actually looked pretty good.  Like I said, everything seems to move freely, so I thought "what the heck" and put some gas in the tank and see what would happen.  Well after the first 15 pulls, nothing happened- other than a lesson in making sure to use the comp release.....  I added some gas directly down the carb, and three pulls later- bingo!  It actually ran really well!  It needs a few little things- the slots on the oil and gas caps are pretty well rounded out, and it definitely needs a sprocket, but other than that, I think she's going onto CL and see if I can't get a decent return on my $0 investment.  I should probably go buy a Lotto ticket......
MS461
MS362

Thank You Sponsors!