iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Blade welder

Started by Qweaver, November 06, 2017, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I have enough broken blades to consider getting a blade welder.  I always bought bulk blade and made up my metal cutting blades when I was teaching welding.  But I found HHS blades  hard to weld and silver soldered them instead.  It would take a lot of broken blades to offset the cost of a blade welder. But it erks me to throw away an otherwise good blade and sometime on it;s first use.  I'll look for a used welder first.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ladylake

If your blades are breaking on the first or second use something is wrong, also when they break they a likely to break in a different place soon.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Correct Steve.

Remember that the "unbroken" portion of the blade has flexed and fatigued just as much as the break.  The weakest portion actually broke but the rest has micro-cracks and is ready to break.  I have seen blades break at two places and one in three places.  I had a broken section about a foot long to land beyond the loader.  I have examined broken blades and found cracks in several gullets.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Q, I've been there, done that. Way back when, I had the same thoughts. Found a commercial saw shop with a resistance welder. For $2 bucks, he would weld them back for me. Definitely not worthwhile. They usually broke somewhere else before used enough to get dull...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I agree with all of the above, If a blade breaks, it's not worth the effort or the cost of a welder to reweld them!

When they break, then you weld them, they will break again soon!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

Maybe instead of messing with broken blades, you could look into just getting some bulk blade stock and welding them up👍
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

Piney really nailed it, really, we did a few metal cutting blades in the shop back when,, tig, with some tempering of course, the resistance way is the way,, my suggestion is to forget the welding, unless you like to struggle with things, then by all means, it can be done, it's just not very productive,  it does seem many folks here like to do stuff for the fun of it, they must have a better pension than me, ;)  fact is, resistance welding is the way, has been and always will be.  that said, proper methods still have to be used,, it's not a cake walk,, research,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Quint, Many old commercial band saws had band welders mounted, I would haunt used machinery dealers. You just know most businesses that sell bands have low paid help welding bands all day, the secret is the welder and how its set up. As the guys have said old many times sharpened bands will soon break but bands that have low flex time may be worth rewilding. Perhaps an older welder and your skill will succeed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kbeitz

Lot of band welders for sale but not many that can weld a band
that fits on a band saw.  Most are to small. Make sure you check
the size of band it can do. welding easy annealing the hard part
to learn.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Qweaver

My hand made silver soldered metal cutting blades lasted very well.  Usually got dull before breaking.  I never knew of anyone resharpening them.  Much thicker blades tho' and easy to taper and jig silver solder.   
BTW  I used to build formula race car frames with all joints brazed with ni brazing rod and the steel tubes were often pulled apart before the joints failed in a crash.  When I build a frame now, I tig weld it.  Much faster but not any stronger.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

fstedy

You might be able to weld them and sharpen to remove any other micro cracks before using them again. Used to weld 3/4" blades for the DoAll metal cutting bandsaw without any problems. They had 24" wheels and turned a lot slower.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

welderwade

hello guys. i been a welder for 30 years have alot of experience in tig welding metal bandsaw blades with excellent results, just my 2 cents worth. 

bandmiller2

Wade, perhaps when you get a chance tell us your welding procedure or show us if possible. Thanks, Frank C.

moodnacreek

A band saw can only go around a wheel so many times. The larger the wheel the less flexing and the longer the steel [in the blade] will last.

bandmiller2

I believe the two biggest killers of bands are too much tension and running dull. It just seems so natural to pull the band really tight so it will cut strait but its sharp and even proper set that carries the mail. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!