iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

disc chainsaw sharpener.

Started by welderskelter, November 10, 2017, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I bought an electric sharpener and for the life of me I cant find anyone that can tell me anything. I have to leave the 10 degree tilt off because I cant figure which way to tilt it. It may be right here in front of my face but I cant see it. Help. Harold

johnny newburgh

Hey Harold I do not have electric sharpener or experience with them but i would imagine you would have to use tilt to get angle on chain. Also it probably tilts to do one side of chain then maybe remount chain and hit other side? Did you look at you tube videos?

welderskelter

Thanks for the reply . I see where it says to tilt 10 degrees but you can go either way. Need to know which way to tilt for each side.I am thinking that you would have to tilt away from the tooth side. That would increase the angle abit too. Just wanted to hear someone say so. Funny the manuals dont even say.

welderskelter

Youtube videos dont show anybody tilting.

snowstorm

do you have a oregon grinder? its the up and down angle. dont use it you dont need it. before someone goes oh yes you do. the oregon factory rep told me that

BrentWV

My owners manual says move the bottom clamp knob away from you for the rt. side cutters to you for left side. Only chisel chain and I don't think all of them.
Never look back,someone may be gaining on you.

John Mc

Quote from: welderskelter on November 10, 2017, 10:02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply . I see where it says to tilt 10 degrees but you can go either way. Need to know which way to tilt for each side.I am thinking that you would have to tilt away from the tooth side. That would increase the angle abit too. Just wanted to hear someone say so. Funny the manuals dont even say.

If want the tilt angle, the grinding kerf should be higher at the point of the cutter than it is at the other end.

There are some good pictures in some hand filing guides that show the concept. You want your angle going the same way. I've attached the pdf for Oregon 72LPX chain which shows this fairly well in the hand-filing photos. (The photo for the grinder is confusing, until you realize they are showing tilting the chain, and not the grinder - I think.) Regardless, the grinding kerf should slope downward as you move away from the point.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!