iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Hackberry or Hickory?

Started by PA_Walnut, October 19, 2017, 06:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

I have a fair number of these in my woods and have recently cut some down. Having trouble ID'ing them. Is it a pignut hickory? I have other hickories that have a much smoother bark. Any info is appreciated! Not sure if I should make boards or firewood. :) Thanks.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

TKehl

Looks like Hackberry to me.  Bark is a little different than here, but the bark on the left side of the picture shows the bark "out-en-ing" in layers instead of flaking off.  Characteristic of Hackberry.  The leaves should look a lot like Elm.

Good wood.  Kind of plain lumber.  Spalts nicely though. 

Not great firewood in terms of BTU, but dries down well and splits ok.  Better than Elm.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

goose63

Sure looks like Hackberry people here like it for fire wood I like it on the saw mill makes good looking lumber
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WanderWonder

Hackberry Celtis occidentalis or sugarberry Celtis laevigata

TKehl

Further North than I would expect Sugarberry, but not impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtis_laevigata
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

PA_Walnut

Pretty sure it's one of the two. Does it make decent lumber? Mine appear to be 90+ % sap wood with a tiny dark heart pretty well uniform and centered.

If not, I'll make it into firewood for my fire pit!

Thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

It is in the elm family and has spiral grain.  If you flatsaw it, you will lose a lot of it to excessive twist and warp.  It is best to quartersaw it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WanderWonder

Ah, I didn't even think of the range.  Southern Illinois is the outermost part of Sugarberry's range and it's commonly confused where I'm from, so that explains it.  Definitely Cetlis occidentalis! !

WDH

They interbreed and the diffrerence between hackberry and sugarberry is very technical and obscure.  Pretty much takes an expert to tell them apart.  Very, very minor differences, so it is only a botanical issue, not a practical one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

Thanks for all the info. I will saw one up and see what the lumber looks like. Making a bunch of pallets for stickering and stacking my lumber piles, so if nothing else, I'll make pallet boards with them!  :D
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

If you flat saw it, get ready for airplane propellers.

BigBurOak

Let the cut logs sit for six months without doin anything to em and they should spalt beautifully. Definitely need to quarter saw unless you want a piece of unique and expressive modern art. You may need to stabilize the boards if you spalt em as they can get pretty soft sometimes. There is definitely a market for it.
Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

Thank You Sponsors!