iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm back

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 05, 2017, 07:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Well it's been awhile since I was on here. Been a crazy life. Starting to level out now. Ive sold all my firewood trucks and equipment and been only working my job. I'm starting to save a small amount of cash and thinking I need a change in my life more for me. And that would be making the step of full time self employment. I want to produce for mills cutting there Stumpage. Work is out there now. Averaging $50 a cord depending on what your cutting. I'd like to short wood (forwarder) but I can get a cable skidder much cheaper and I think I could produce more but not sure the best rout on the landing to sort/stack logs,bolts and pulp. Thinking one man should do 10 cord on average per day. Just looking for opinions and comparisons on productions and if anyone is doing sorts with a pole skidder.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome back and best wishes for your future
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

Would the mill be sending a self loader truck to the landing or would you need to load them?
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

They handle all trucking including my equipment.

thecfarm

Good to you back and good luck to ya!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Are you capable of building a bunk trailer with a winch boom and tongs to pull behind your skidder for the times when a long skid on small timber really eats into your production rate?
Praise The Lord

coxy

jmop      do your self a favor don't go ars over tea cup in debt for a mill been there done that they tell you everything you want to here and when there done there done with you no few months warning I was told I needed to up grade I went and got a newer skidder and dozer 3 months later they told me if I wanted to work it was 100 a thousand or look for something else  there was no way I could make it on that with fuel at 4$a gal  and payments and traveling over an hour to work I almost lost every thing I had  but I made it  and will never put my trust in a mill ever again and have not sold any logs to that mill in over 12 years ill cut it up for firewood first  ;D

Firewoodjoe

I can build anything and I have a Gregory boom that I can mount for a dray  but I'd like to focused on logging not building. Although I have time. And I do not plan on going in huge debt. I will have to at first unless I buy a old cable skidder. Around here old and "cable" skidder don't work so well anymore. It's 90% ctl timber.

Grandpa

Sounds similar to what I am doing. I believe in your area pulp and bolts are cut 102" long. The few guys that are still skidding with a cable skidder around here all have slashers. Grade logs are cut by hand. I would really hate to not have a slasher. It sorts, piles, and saws dirty wood at the rate of 7 to 10 cord per hour. :)

Depending on the wood, 10 cords a day may or may not be realistic, assuming a one man show.

Based on what I have seen, be very cautious about working for a mill.

I have done what you are talking about and wish you the best of luck, it is a wonderful life. I have the best office in the world!  :) ;D

Firewoodjoe

My dad did it for years. Everything from buying the standing timer to hauling it to the mill. 30 cord a week. And he didn't over work. He enjoy life while working. I know if all I did is cut and skid I could do 10 cord a day. 10 and 12 foot grade and 100" bolts and pulp.

mike_belben

You know your situation best, youll figure it out. 

I look at it as build it once, or pay for it 72 times. 
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

I'm leaning towards cable skidder and slasher. Cheaper to buy cheaper and simpler to repair and if one or the other breaks there cheaper to replace than a forwarder around here. And I think I can produce much more with a slasher. The crews around here have million dollar ctl and cutting 200 cord a week. And that's with employee exspenise. If I can do 20 a day by myself and have low over head I should do pretty well.

coxy

another thing is the mills going to let you contract for them with a cable skidder

Firewoodjoe

Correct but I know others have in the past.

Thank You Sponsors!