iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craftsman Electric Chainsaw I.D ?

Started by ~slivers, November 04, 2017, 10:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~slivers

Would anyone know the model of this old Craftsman chainsaw ? I'm wondering if these early models were made by Poulan and if the parts would interchange with newer Poulans. any information would be greatly appreciated !

sawguy21

Is there a number starting with 358? That would indicate a Poulan. It could also be a Remington, forget finding parts for those.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

~slivers

Not sure about the numbers a guy has it listed on the classifieds, I have a few of the Poulans I use around the house, the newer versions have plastic housings so I'm thinking the aluminum housing of the old school saws would be much better for chain/blade alignment, if I can make parts from the newer saws work on the older one's I would pick it up.

dougand3

The color scheme looks like Roper, who made the Gas Craftsman 3.7/18 in 1970s-80s. Maybe they made electric, too. Agree with sawguy - you never will find parts and parts off this 1970s electric saw won't fit new electrics. Can't see an Al housing making bar/chain alignment better. Either your studs are secure in their plastic or metal threads or they aren't.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

~slivers

I found what looks like the same saw over at chainsawcollectors.se. with a model number of 315.34660, they say Ryobi made them for Craftsman. when it comes to aluminum vs plastic it doesn't take much to be a whole lot better, some of these plastic bodied chainsaws tend to throw the chain, when you tighten the chain to keep that from happening it skews the blade off to the right, an aluminum housing is more rigid and won't flex like that, it's the main reason I'm interested in this old school aluminum version.

Thank You Sponsors!