iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol M8 suggestions

Started by Pete and Jesse, November 04, 2017, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete and Jesse

After watching many videos and reading lots of posts my son is considering getting a Logosol m8.  Anyone have pros and cons?  Any suggestions on how to see one in action?  He is near Albany, NY and does not mind traveling to see one.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ToddsPoint

I bought a used Logosol M7 in '12.  Also bought a new Stihl 660 with 28" and 36" bars.  I use it specifically to mill walnut crotches for gunstocks. 

M7 and M8 have two 9' rails and can handle a 16' log.  I converted mine to a Woodworkers Mill (another M7  variation) eliminating one rail.  I can do 8' only, which is more than enough to do crotches.  It works well and I just finished milling 24 walnut crotches. 

I have 2 removable wheels that attach to the legs and I can move the mill easily and store it in the barn.  I have never done it but it would be easy to roll onto my trailer and take is somewhere else to mill.

For milling crotches for gunstocks, the M7 is perfect.  If I wanted to mill logs for dimensional lumber, I think I'd go with a bandsaw mill.  Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Savannahdan

Another FF member, TEED, has some videos of him using a Logosol M8.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

richhiway

It all depends what you are planning to do. I'd be glad to answer any questions. I am in Monticello.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Pete and Jesse

I am continually amazed and the hard work and creativity of people on this site.  Thank you for your responses.

Pete and Jesse

Quote from: richhiway on November 05, 2017, 02:08:43 PM
It all depends what you are planning to do. I'd be glad to answer any questions. I am in Monticello.

I sent you a pm, I hope.

outpost22

I also looked at buying the Logosol after running an Alaskan Mill.  After weighing the pros and cons for my usage, i went with a used band saw mill.  I use it to cut mostly pine siding. Portability is not an issue here, but may be for you. The Logosol looks very portable to remote locations.  The Logosol chain kerf is wider than a bandsaw (at least my chainsaw bars and chains are wider) and you will lose more lumber in the log to sawdust.  I also like the electric start on the bandsaw. Starting an old balky 044 on the Alaska mill cured me from the pull rope  :D
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Thank You Sponsors!