iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shake or stress?

Started by alanh, November 04, 2017, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

I got this pine this week, the top of the tree had blown off in last weeks storm, these were still standing. I`m not sure if the cracking is from shake, stress, or both, still looks like a lot of salvageable lumber to me...

thecfarm

Not home so can't look up the latin name,but white pine?
If so I kinda doubt shake. I have sold logs and cut probably the same amount for firewood,never seen shake in a white pine like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

The tree may have split when it was felled!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

alanh

It is white pine, I wasn`t sure if shake affected it, could be from the wind or dropping it..

loganworks2

From the first picture it looks like it must have been a standing dead tree. If it was it was most likely damage from felling the tree.

Ianab

I think it's mostly a stress crack from the tree falling. Wood in a dead tree is more brittle and more likely to crack when it hits the ground.

But you can also see how the crack has followed a semi-circle section of growth rings, and those rings have a different colour. That's more indicative of "shake". Maybe "something" happened early in the trees history. Fire / lightning strike etc. Didn't kill the tree, but weakened that growth ring. The tree recovered and kept growing normally, but left that weak ring.

That's my theory anyway.  :D

And yes if you can saw around the crack, the rest of the wood should be OK.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Darrel

I've seen Pondarosa and lodgepole pine do that but only when standing dead.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

I have seen shake in W Pine a time or two.
That's shake and when the tree was cut it landed on something to crack it , or someone pulling the tree out bent the thing too far around a bump tree.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!