iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a load of logs in Illinois

Started by burtle, November 03, 2017, 04:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burtle

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on where to get a semi load of logs so I can cut it up/split it myself to save some money?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Never Give Up

mike_belben

I get tree guys who drop it here for free.  You could call tree services and ask if they sell hardwood logs, or call your nearest sawmill and ask if they can recommend someone. 

Dirt contractors produce a lot of trees when clearing home sites.  Theyre not usually in the logging or firewood business.
Praise The Lord

Brad_bb

Developing a relationship with a tree service can be a good thing.  They want to get rid of the wood.  They would rather drop it at your yard if it's not far out of their way.  They do not want to haul it to their yard and then haul it to yours.  They don't want to expend the labor or fuel.  It really helps if you can take a lot of wood or loads on a regular basis.  Tree services make their money on the tree removal job.  Selling wood is usually pennies for them, or rather the money they'd get it not worth their time or trouble.  Getting rid of the wood is of value to them if they can do it efficiently.  Most of the time it ends up piling up in their yard.  If you have the ability to haul it (trailer), sometimes they'll load the chunks for you.  In reality it's much easier for you if they can come dump or unload themselves.  So you can probably get wood without having to pay.  Put where you are in our profile.  When you do it will show up in your posts so we can see where you are and sometimes you might get a specific recommendation from someone close to you. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mike_belben

I concur.  Having a yard they can get in and out of and a loader is a huge bonus that will get you plenty of free wood once you get the word out.   
Praise The Lord

burtle

Wow, thanks so much for the replies guys! I greatly appreciate it.

There's several big subdivisions going in within 10-12 miles from my house. They are clear a lot of trees. I will have to go out and do some leg work. It could indeed save me a lot of money.

I haven't been a member very long and I'm really enjoying this forum!
Never Give Up

burtle

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 03, 2017, 09:04:36 PM
Developing a relationship with a tree service can be a good thing.  They want to get rid of the wood.  They would rather drop it at your yard if it's not far out of their way.  They do not want to haul it to their yard and then haul it to yours.  They don't want to expend the labor or fuel.  It really helps if you can take a lot of wood or loads on a regular basis.  Tree services make their money on the tree removal job.  Selling wood is usually pennies for them, or rather the money they'd get it not worth their time or trouble.  Getting rid of the wood is of value to them if they can do it efficiently.  Most of the time it ends up piling up in their yard.  If you have the ability to haul it (trailer), sometimes they'll load the chunks for you.  In reality it's much easier for you if they can come dump or unload themselves.  So you can probably get wood without having to pay.  Put where you are in our profile.  When you do it will show up in your posts so we can see where you are and sometimes you might get a specific recommendation from someone close to you.

I'm in Auburn, Illinois.

I will add it to my profile.
Never Give Up

Thank You Sponsors!