iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4* blades and new sharpener

Started by Florida boy, November 03, 2017, 12:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

Well yesterday  I called cooks and layed down the down payment on a cat claw sharpener and single tooth setter. I have a cooks mp32 with electric up and down. Talking to the women on rhe phone and asked if the sharpener had an adjustment for 4* blades. She said that there are holes for 8,10,12,13 degree. No 4. Has any one modified their cat claw sharpener to do 4*? She also said that she didn't know why anyone would want a 4* angle and I explained that it suppose to be better for very hard wood like some pecan of Osage orange. She didn't agree with that and said the reason I was getting waves in wide hard cuts was because the beam strength of 1.25 bands was not enough. And told me that I should move up to a 1.5" band. So I'm asking this is it worth moving up to new guides and blades for 1.5 or should I just resharpen a few bands to 4* or possibly buy some 4*. I have a bunch of 1.25 bands ( like 60+) that I don't want to not use. So what do y'all Think?

barbender

I have limited experience with 4° bands, but it seems a lot of guys are going to that. The thing with a 4°, is it's not just the tooth angle, but also the gullet profile that makes the difference in performance. I have sharpened a few blades to 4° on my Cook's sharpener, no, there isn't a hole tapped for it. I don't remember if there is enough room to drill and tap one, I just tightened the head down and maybe clamped it with something,  as I was just doing a few.
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

I'd have asked her how much lumber she has sawed and what types.

Before i would go to the extra effort and expense I'd buy a couple of 4 degree bands and try them on your hard woods and see what you think of them. I swear by my 4 degree blades. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Also, I have been using both 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" bands. I ordered the wider rollers from WM so I would be getting the full benefit of the wider band. They didn't change my opinion that a thicker band gives better performance than a wider one, i.e. if you are running a 1 1/4" x .045, going to a 1 1/4"x .050 or .055" will give faster flatter cuts than going to a 1 1/2"x.045. My .02😊

Chuck White

If I had 60+ bands, and had a desire to have a few 4° bands, I'd just sharpen a few of what I had on hand to 4°!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Forum member cutting edge sells a head angle gauge for a cat claw sharpner that will put the head right directly at 4 degrees and he also sells one for 7 degree.  He also sells a cam that works pretty slick.  Don't pay attention to what she said about the 4 degree blades, she's dead wrong...and beam strength is gained from a thickness not width far as I know..Its funny a wm rep told me that 1-1/2 blades will wave more because there is more surface area to leverage it around knots...he told me I'd never get them to cut frozen wood.  Well I did get 1-1/2 blades to cut frozen wood just fine..after buying a blade roller lol.
Boy, back in my day..

GAB

Just increasing your blade tension might go a long way in resolving your concern.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

YellowHammer

I had a Cooks, it doesn't have a 4° hole, but I drilled and tapped one, as well as a 9°.

I'd buy some 4° bands and try them, and if you like them, use them as a template for reconfiguring the Cats Claw by matching the face angle, measure and match the set, and match the gullet profile by hand grinding a cam, or get the kit from Richard.  I did both and could closely match  4°, 7° and 9° WM bands. 

Don't get rid of your other bands, all I use are 1.25" bands and occasionally saw some Osage with them, as well as about a dozen and a half other various species.  Green Osage was easier than hickory....

If you want more stability in the cut but less band life, go with .055 inch thick 4°, it's my go to band for mean stuff. 

I had pretty good luck just grinding most of my bands to the Cooks default 8° setting.  Nice thing about the Cats Claw, it's very flexible. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Florida boy

Thanks so much for all the replies! I guess I'll be sending cutting edge a pm once I get the  sharpener. Does anyone have a good workflow set up( maybe with pics😎 ) for using the grinder / setter? I don't know why but she seemed like if it wasn't cooks research and info it wasn't accurate, I tried to explain it was from a reliable source; didn't make difference to her. Another reason I love the forum unbiased info from all types of users!

LeeB

For a long time I thought I was grinding at 8* on my catclaw. I ordered a cam and set of angle gauges from Richard and low and behold, I've been grinding at 7* all along. I also switched to 3/8 inch grinding rocks and now am able to match the WM profile almost to a t. I've ordered and received some KAsco 7* blades but have not tried them yet. I haven't tried 4* yet but will convert some of my older blades next round of sharpening.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

That gal sounds like she may be the same one I spoke to a few years ago, she told me I was commiting patent infringement grinding WM bands with the Cook's Super Sharp cam that was on my machine. Really irratated me, I called with a question about my sharpener and ended up being scolded.

4x4American

Quote from: barbender on November 04, 2017, 12:56:10 AM
That gal sounds like she may be the same one I spoke to a few years ago, she told me I was commiting patent infringement grinding WM bands with the Cook's Super Sharp cam that was on my machine. Really irratated me, I called with a question about my sharpener and ended up being scolded.

Yea when I've had problems and called for advice they've just told me that I'm doing it wrong and that none of their other customers had the same trouble I was having..nice..
How well did that came work for turbo 7's? 
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

florida boy how much room do you have to set it up?  If you can, build either one big ole table like 10' by 4' should prolly do it.  Whats nice about a table is you can lay the blades flat on it to see if they need rolled and also it give you a place to keep the tools you'll need to run the equipment.  @AleyskaPete has a pretty neat condensed table that holds his setter and grinder cant remember if he has a roller.  Maybe he can post a pic.  My setup is really crammed and dont work so great when I switch from 158" blades to 195" it made me do alot of recnfiguring.
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

4x4, I was sharpening WM standard 7°, I had to get out a file and "reconfigure" the cam to get it to match the profile. I have taken off too much, built it back up with a welder a couple of times😊

4x4American

Thats funny cause the dtss 8 degree cam I have I tried to fix up also by welding and grinding and all that too.  Didn't help lol
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

A guy can get carried away at it- I may as well go on and admit it, I did use the side grinder on it a time or two😂😂 I tried to tell the gal at Cook's (after she accused me of patent infringement) that my cam might have started out as a Cook's SS profile, but it wasn't anymore.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

ladylake

Keep in mind many voting for the 10° have not run a 4°.  Over here It's strictly 4° on the first sharpening as they cut straighter in tough wood.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

I was cutting red oak today. I use 4 deg. blades. I touch up with a dremel.
My saw was jumping in the cut on Red oak. I resharpened with a 3/8 bit and fixed
my problem. Before I was using a 5/16" bit. Changing to a 3/8 bit reduced my
rake to around 2 deg. No more jumping. I was surprised how much it helped.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!