iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two new additions to the stable

Started by scsmith42, November 02, 2017, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

A month or so back my Chainsawr built 044 seized up.  I bought this saw new back around 2000 and Chainsawr rebuilt it a few years ago so I had gotten my money's worth out of it.  This saw was getting pretty tired.  We've used it daily around the mill and I once dropped it from 45' in the air. 

In my quest for a replacement, I ended up seeking out a 461.  I'd heard lots of good things about them, and had the opportunity to use one recently and was impressed.

Being a bit of a tightwad, I found a "good, barely used one" on ebay for $750.  Bought it, was a nightmare to take possession of it.  Seller did not ship for a week (and only when I followed up with them to get a tracking number), and then they did not include the 36" bar and chain that was clearly listed with it.  Finally, three weeks after I paid for it everything was here.  The second time that I used it the spark plug blew out of the cylinder and it subsequently seized up.  Upon closer inspection the threads were missing from the cylinder head.... think_not

Seller refused to respond to my inquiries, so I got e-bay involved and they said that they would stand behind it.   8)  Refund hits my account tomorrow.

So, after all this transpired I told myself that I was nuts to buy a used saw considering that a new one wasn't that much more and the potential for problems with the used one was high.  So I called my local dealer and he told me "what a coincidence; I just bought 43 saws from Stihl that they had used in the German factory for test purposes (no more than three hours use).  All come with complete warranties, the only noticeable thing is where they drilled the mufflers to insert a test probe.  The holes have been patched.

Get this  - they were all discounted 20% - including all accessories (bar's chains, etc) that were purchased with them!

Tomorrow I'm picking up my new 461 with a 36" bar, and an 880 with a 59" bar  8).  $450.00 discounted off of the 880 saw and bar combo and a couple of hundred off of the 461!  These are German mfg saws too.

Now I've just got to start curling weights so that I can start that darn 880....

I looked at both saws today - other than muffler discoloration they look brand new and are in new boxes.  My dealer mentioned that out of the 43 he only had a couple left.  He did have several pole saws though on the same deal if anybody's looking for one.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

You did well, two new saws and a 461 for parts (an expensive lesson).;D You best eat a good breakfast before packing that 880 though, I break out in a sweat thinking about it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

teakwood

Can you just change piston and cylinder on the used 461 and have a totally new saw??
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

scsmith42

Quote from: teakwood on November 03, 2017, 09:19:45 AM
Can you just change piston and cylinder on the used 461 and have a totally new saw??

Yes, but financially this does not make sense to me.  I paid 775 for the used 461, (and got all of this money back via e-bay).

The new, disounted 461 from my dealer - including 36" bar and chain - is only about $100.00 more; ie $875.

Since it will cost me more than $100.00 to replace the piston and cylinder, why would I want to rebuild a used saw, not to mention rewarding the dirtbag that lied when he sold it to me?

scsmith42

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 02, 2017, 10:03:03 PM
You did well, two new saws and a 461 for parts (an expensive lesson).;D You best eat a good breakfast before packing that 880 though, I break out in a sweat thinking about it.

I did not keep the old 461.  Ebay required that I return it to the seller in order for them to give me a refund, which I gladly did.

nativewolf

You came out well.  A slightly discounted badly used saw or a new one?  New one thank you!

Hope you enjoy it, wish I had bought the new one rather than the used one.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 03, 2017, 07:02:27 PM

I did not keep the old 461.  Ebay required that I return it to the seller in order for them to give me a refund, which I gladly did.

Of course, know i get it, i thought you could keep the used saw.
How did ebay give you your money back, they take it from the seller anyhow?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

scsmith42

Quote from: teakwood on November 04, 2017, 02:55:32 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on November 03, 2017, 07:02:27 PM

Of course, know i get it, i thought you could keep the used saw.
How did ebay give you your money back, they take it from the seller anyhow?

I should have mentioned ebays return requirement in my original post so th3 confusion is understandable.

I'm not sure how eBay gets their money back but most likely by locking the sellers account or something.

The refund hit my Paupal account within 24 hours of eBay approving it, so I'm pretty pleased.

scsmith42

I took delivery of both saws today.  I don't have a photo of the 461, but here is the 880.

It wasn't as bad to start as I thought it would be.  Quite frankly, my bored out 066 is harder to start than the new 880.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JJinAK

Holy Buckets! 

That scabbard almost looks ridiculous.....

That is an awesome set up.
MS461
MS362

Thank You Sponsors!