iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big leaf maple questions

Started by Wallydawg, November 02, 2017, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallydawg

First off, I'm new, but have been learning from all of you for a year or so now. Thanks! My prior experience in woodworking only involved a chainsaw. My new neighbor decided to get some light to his house and had about 20 big leaf maples taken down. Some are relatively large, but I don't have time to cut right now. With the rainy season on us, I would like to know how to prep some of these logs. I know to cut ends clean and seal and get off ground, but should I leave the bark on or take off. Can I leave long or buck to length now. Is it too much to expect them to last until spring if prepped well? I won't have the kiln done 'till next year, and I don't want to try air drying this winter. I have some d.fir logs I HAVE to mill before it gets any wetter, or they will be bugfood. I also want to get a sawshed done. Spent 40 years working in the rain, but don't care to play in it. Thanks again for all the help!
They say I'm lazy, but it takes all my time. - Joe Walsh -
Timberking B-20

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Wallydawg!

Probably wouldn't hurt anything to have them cut a foot or longer than your desired cut length, then make a fresh cut just before sawing!

Good to get them up off of the ground and seal the ends!

Don't know about debarking hardwood, but it might be a good idea too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mad murdock

Welcome aboard! AS you probably already know, mills(commercial) looking for PNW hardwoods, (maple and Alder) usually want it fresh from the stump, usually not more than a couple weeks old, as it does have a tendency to check bad on the ends shortly after it begins to lose moisture. As CW aptly stated, a foot of trim wood should do you well in allowing later milling and still have usable lengths.  maple that has some spalting, sometimes is desirable to wood workers over freshly milled stuff too.  Good luck with your venture!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

redbeard

Welcome Wallydawg, bark is not going to be a factor just pile them up and get too them in spring or summer. We're almost niegbors
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

quilbilly

Best to get on it, snow level was way down this week. We have a ton of big leaf Maple at our log yard, you should be ok over winter  but a log seal is good. If you are going to mill in the spring I wouldn't worry too much about splitting but if you wait till summer it would be wise to by some flitch savers or something of that ilk.
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!