iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dang sawdust...

Started by D6c, November 02, 2017, 09:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andries

Milling Western Red Cedar, outdoors, super bright sun on snow, loud loader and mill, cold temps.

This is my "Son of Darth Vader" disguise - and no, not cause its Halloween.

Dan'g - with this much protection, I might live to be as old as D-U-G.
(He's 125 and counting . . . )
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SlowJoeCrow

I wear the same dust mask, its great.

petefrom bearswamp

Is that a p100 dust mask?
if so, where is it available
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

Andries I've made it this far without wearing that stuff so ima bet you'll lap me!! 
Boy, back in my day..

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

redprospector

Did somebody mention dust?

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

YellowHammer

Quote from: redprospector on November 06, 2017, 12:07:27 AM
Did somebody mention dust?
My fan won't help there.  Time to move. :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: Andries on November 05, 2017, 11:06:23 PM
Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 05, 2017, 08:19:11 AM
Is that a p100 dust mask?
if so, where is it available

I've had good luck with these folks:
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/elipse-p100-dust-mask.aspx

What he said.  Same for me, it's a great mask, low- profile, replaceable filters, they even make a protective case for it that goes on your belt.

Treehack

Quote from: btulloh on November 03, 2017, 05:25:12 PM
My shop seems difficult to use fans since the dust producers are all over the place.  Dust collection helps, but as we all know there's still plenty that gets in the air.  The radial arm saw is my biggest offender.  It just doesn't work well with the dust collector.

Here is my setup for radial arm and chop saws. 

You are correct about normal collection on these as a lot of dust gets thrown out the back before it makes it up into guards to be collected.  Those are HVAC boots you can get at any of the home improvement stores and they do a nice job of catching the back splatter.  I have almost zero dust that escapes at these stations using this setup.  I also use one of the ceiling mounted air cleaners as a second line of defense.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

btulloh

That's a good lucking setup Treehack.  Thanks for the pic.  If I had room behind my radial and chop saw I would copy what you have there.  My problem is I would need a complete remodel to get me that space behind the saws.  What I basically need is a bigger shop.   :)   I may just get a couple of those P100 masks to tide me over.  I like the way they look.
HM126

bandmiller2

Not saying in this case, but bands fed too slowly produce a lot of real fine dust. I think most of us feed too slowly, faster feed equals coarser dust. Circular mills produce saw chunks not dust. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

longtime lurker

Way I look at it Frank circles produce saw dust and bands produce powder.  :D

Even with circles I'm often surprised by the fines content we get: harder timbers require slower feed speeds so a fair % must be boiling out of the gullets and gets reduced by following teeth. Up the feed and the surface suffers. In softer wood though it's almost like shavings... I got good markets for the coarse dust and have often thought about putting a separator on the line.  One day jobs.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Downstream

I added goggles to my PPE because safety glasses were not helpful with sawdust.   And I agree the wind always seems to into me and into workshop.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

OffGrid973

Walnut, cedar, anything over 120 grit mask up.

The lean in that picture is impressive, on a wet log there is a 50 / 50 chance of slippage and landing on your keester (always fun) but I appreciate the dedication to make it happen.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

GDinMaine

I can consider myself lucky as I only remember a handful of occasions when I had to wear dust mask. Only do portable sawing, so I guess it is pure luck. The one thing I did figure out is how to keep sawdust out of my eyes. I ALWAYS wear safety goggles and to keep most of the sawdust from falling in from the top, I use a simple baseball cap pulled right down on top of the goggles. It eliminated most of the sawdust from getting behind the goggles. It took some getting used to as I don't normally wear a ballcap, but now I can't run the mill without it.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Thank You Sponsors!