iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fireplace flue question.

Started by overclocking, November 01, 2017, 08:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overclocking

Wondering if anyone has any experience with fireplace installation?

I have lived in my house for a few years and there is a fireplace I have yet to use because I don't know if it is safe or not. I was looking at it and it's triple wall pipe all the way up through the roof. That part really doesn't scare me, but it's where it connects to the actual fireplace.

The pipe that connects to the fireplace looks like it's not meant to be used with the fireplace, it looks like it was supposed to be some sort of double wall pipe instead. The triple wall is just sitting on the fireplace by its own weight, it's not attached or twist locked or anything, just the weight is holding it down. If you look up inside you can see clips where the pipe is supposed to latch, but the Tripple wall is bottomed out and doesn't reach the clips.

I have included a pic up the chimney and a close up 

pic of the top assemble of the fireplace.

limbwood

the upper pipe needs to fit into the lower pipe or creasote will run down and cause a fire, it doesn't look like the flue pipe is inside of the fireplace pipe. I wouldn't use it until you are certain it is.

overclocking

Ok, so after some research I found the fireplace calls for SL300 style pipe, not the pipe that's on it. Problem is I have never heard of SL300 and a bunch of the people I called have never heard of it. I did manage to find some buried on the web, but the offsets alone are over $160 each and I need 30ft of straight run plus the offsets to replace the existing pipe.... yikes_smiley

Anyone have any experience with SL300? Its air cooled pipe, I am wondering if it is the same as duravent... I can't find the UL number for it though.

Slingshot

A little info on the SL300 pipe. Maybe this is the reason someone used a
different pipe on your fireplace...

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/chimney-pipe-heatilator-sl300.76720/

Thank You Sponsors!