iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing green hickory

Started by pineywoods, October 31, 2017, 10:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Customer brought me 4 big fresh cut hickory logs. Now I have cut a bit of hickory but this is my first experience with green hickory. Devil wood plus.. Yeah, its a bit tough but that's expected. 25 hp lt40, fresh resharp 10 deg blades, it gave me fits. Problem was SAP..stickiest gooest stuff I have ever seen. Buildup on everything, . Had to stop several times and use a knife to scrape the stuff off the blade, bandwheel belts, guide rollers and even the rail. Used lots of water and soap, diesel wouldn't touch the stuff. Got about 600 bd ft if 1X5 and a bunch of 2X2 tool handle stock...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

irvi00

I won't even touch hickory. But it's odd that you had that kind of sap buildup. My experience with hickory was dry as a bone and hard as granite.

Coltbodi

Me too, I cut down a hickory tree a few weeks ago and put it on the mill as soon as it fell. It was hard, but dry. I was going to say maybe its the climate, but we are in the same state, and its a little one. LOL. Maybe they where came out of the swamp so they stayed swelled up with water, making more sap. Other than that I don't have a clue.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

pineywoods

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience with hickory, just hard and dry. this stuff was literally oozing sap. Fresh sawn board actually felt wet...Finished 3 of them, one more to go....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

WV Sawmiller

Piney,

Try a 4 degree band if you have one. I have same hp you do and it saws good for me. Biggest problem I had with last one was splitting. 4/4 Boards would split the entire length at the pith like you'd stuck a knife in one end of a very ripe watermelon.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

francismilker

I've tried on many occasions to cut hickory and air dry it in the barn loft. No matter how hard it is when I cut it, it gets 100 times harder after it's dried. I can't even plane it without scrapping out a set of blades.

It's of the devil in my opinion.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

pineywoods

I messed around with this job for 2 days. My sharpener is a much modified old wm drag type sharpener, so I tried several different blade configurations. I am of the opinion that different rake angles is very much akin to the oil wars in the chainsaw forum. The rake angle don't make much difference, but the shape and depth of the gullet does. What finally got the job done was 10 degree rake angle with a deeper than normal gullet, and stopping after several cuts and cleaning the gunk off everything..That and a continuous stream of water and pinsol..Danny calls pecan the devil wood, but I think it's close cousin hickory is worse, the devil's wife ???

Don P

We better figure it out, don't know about the rest of you but we have quite a supply of red maple and hickory in the woods here.
I've worked with Beech and a few exotics that put it to shame so I don't mind it but would hate to try to make production sawing hickory. When time to use it I'm pretty merciless at the cutoff saw though, if it doesn't want to cooperate dimensional firewood heats good.

I've never had pitch buildup from it that I remember. I had to take the circle blade to the sawdoc when I was sawing ash and the buildup was so bad he asked if I was sawing yellow pine. Another wood I had never thought of as pitchy. For that he told me the other mills usually rotated a poplar log in every now and then to clean the blade but I suspect you were gumming up within a pass or two.

WDH

The only logs that I just could not saw have been hickory.  No way the blade would behave.  Trashed them.  Not worth it.   smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil

I hates hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

Are you folks talking about shag bark or bitter nut hickory?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ga Mtn Man

I've had three jobs recently that included sawing large (32" range) green hickory logs...I almost turned down the first one because of my past nightmare experiences with the stuff.  But, armed with a fresh box of Kasco 4° blades (thanks for the recommendation Cutting Edge) and two jugs of lube, I decided to have another go at it.  I had pretty good success cutting wide slabs so long as I kept the lube (water and detergent) flowing full blast and changed the blade frequently.  Every time I switched the Lube-Mizer from Cont to Pulse the blade tension would almost immediately begin to drop as the blade heated up.  Once the blade heats up the resin will begin to stick and then you're done for (with that blade anyway).  In one cut I forgot to switch the lube ON and wasn't watching the tension gauge...didn't get half way down the log before the blade became encrusted with resin and took a dive.  I believe keeping the blade cool is the key to successfully cutting the  smiley_devil.       
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on November 01, 2017, 09:31:49 PMI believe keeping the blade cool is the key to successfully cutting the  smiley_devil.
I would say that that (Tom) is a true statement when sawing any species.  When a blade heats up you have a problem and you had best find out why.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on November 01, 2017, 09:53:01 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on November 01, 2017, 09:31:49 PMI believe keeping the blade cool is the key to successfully cutting the  smiley_devil.
I would say that that (Tom) is a true statement when sawing any species.  When a blade heats up you have a problem and you had best find out why.
I have had distinctively heavy buildup of pitch on my bands with hickory and have burned bands in one pass.  However, I keep a stock of 4°  .055 bands just for it, and I believe the key, for me at least, is using water soluble oil in the lubemizer.  It makes the band so slick, the sap can't stick well.  I rely in my old favorite Cotton Picker Spindle Cleaner, and mix it heavy.  It's pretty much all I use now as an additive, except for pine, and it will make sawing hickory tolerable.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ga Mtn Man

I guess I should have said that keeping the blade cool when sawing hickory is more of a challenge than when sawing most any other species...in my admittedly limited experience.  If the blade stays cool, I don't have much of an issue with pitch build up. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on November 01, 2017, 11:20:14 PM
I guess I should have said that keeping the blade cool when sawing hickory is more of a challenge than when sawing most any other species...in my admittedly limited experience.  If the blade stays cool, I don't have much of an issue with pitch build up.

DanG right.  Cool and clean  smiley_thumbsup
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LeeB

I'll see your hickory and raise you a live oak.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

I'd give it a go with the swing blade. Got a couple of cube of Sheoak sawn, and that's up over Hickory in the hardness scale, closer to Lee's Live Oak.

Yes you know you are cutting something hard, but that just means you push / pull a bit slower.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PA_Walnut

Not to derail the topic, but this topic relates to some related problems/issues I'm having cutting really wide oak (white and red) on my LT40 wide, 35HP Diesel.

Using 9° turbos and when getting into really wide cuts, I can see tension start dropping and I have to slow down...REALLY slow down.

Can hear a low groaning, which I thought may be the main drive belt slipping, but I tensioned it the other day according to spec, and still does it.

Any words of wisdom ? Thx

p.s. I have a pile of recently cut hickory to get to also, which is why I need to straighten this out!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

drobertson

Sawing hickory and the success in doing so really does depend on the species, IMO, as well as the size,  I too sawed some pretty wide stock, If memory serves 24" was probably the largest.. It was green and a pain, I had to grind the blade out with a 4" grinder. Then I sawed a pecan of the same size, it sawed great. Then big ole WO, hard knots,, hard,, wide cuts with a wave over the knots, regardless of what I tried. The last hickory I sawed before the mill left was a batch of 12" bitternut,  these sawed out fine as well, but the bark is rather pesky. fact is real PITA, but makes for good stuff for smoking pork.  Water with whatever additive that works is handy for keeping things cooled down.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

PA_Walnut

Quote from: drobertson on November 02, 2017, 07:04:32 AM
but makes for good stuff for smoking pork.  Water with whatever additive that works is handy for keeping things cooled down.

Yes indeed! We saw the slab wood into chucks and even some of the really knotty stuff into 8/4 slabs and then into chunks for sale for hipster fire pit wood or for smoker enthusiasts. Local BBQ places are even known to trade ribs for it! 8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

I also would never use plain water on anything.  It needs some type of soap as a surfactant to break the surface tension and also to help break down and dissolve the sap.  Soap makes water wetter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

A lot of people don't know that you can buy a water wetter for in you'r car/truck engine.
It really makes it run cooler.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PA_Walnut

Have run WaterWetter in many cars. Not sure that it helps, but sure registers on the placebo meter well!  :D

I run a mix of water, Dawn liquid and Pinesol. Maybe I need something different or a stronger solution.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!