iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saying Goodbye to My LT40

Started by WoodenHead, October 31, 2017, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

Well, I guess all good things come to an end.  I sold my mill.  The buyer will be picking it up soon, but I have to spend some time to clean up the mill and the shed (he's taking the mill shed as well, along with edger and kiln components).  So, today was my last day sawing with my mill. 

Here is a pic of the last log sawn today. (An ugly pine made into 1 x 10).

I posted quite some time ago that I was in a car accident (2.5 years ago) and had a concussion from it.  That has led to a number of changes in my life.  Our family is moving and our new place is not suitable for a sawmill.

I have been very busy trying to saw (part time) all that I can before the mill leaves.  There is probably about 8000 bdft of mostly pine logs left, but some ash and maple as well.  What logs are left will either be sold to local sawyers or given away.  I managed to quarter saw most of the white and red oak that I had (about 2500 bdft).  That will become wainscoting in my new home as a memory of my sawmill adventures.  I also sliced about 7500 bdft of pine.  Most of that will be for future wood working projects. 

Here are a couple pics of some of the stacks.

It has been fun making sawdust and I will miss my mill.

kenfrommaine

Chuck White

I know it'll leave a hollow spot, but for now, on to other ventures!

Glad you enjoyed the ride!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

You have some good looking stacks there!  Best of luck at your new place.

Magicman

I wish you the very best as you move on with your life. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Sounds like that you will just quit making lumber and start using it.  Hope every thing works out good for you. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

We all need to take care of our self.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I am thankful that I had the opportunity to fulfill a dream that I had in high school.  :)

Yes, I will be using the wood that I have sawn (rather than selling it).  Aside from wainscoting and some smaller projects, I have one ambitious project that I hope to eventually get to.   I'll post pictures of it when the time comes.

PA_Walnut

There's often times during our adventures and love for wood, that the course steers us another direction. I had a mill 15 years ago and fell on hard times and had to move, so the mill had to go.

During that time, I really had an opportunity to make new strategic alignments, actually work with lumber in my shop, and build heirloom-quality items that will transcend my own existence.

Have a great time enjoying your lumber! Great idea to stack it up and I'd guess that if you bless another sawyer with your excess logs, you'll have another near-endless source of material!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

drobertson

Sorry to hear of you new news :(  I'm still having  a rough time not having mine.  Quite frankly, it stinks, I hope all goes well for you and your family's new move..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!