iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

License Plates For LT28

Started by AlpineCutter, October 31, 2017, 07:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlpineCutter

I am wondering what everyone has done for license plates on their portable mills. I understand every state will be different but here in Colorado they aren't going to let me register it as a trailer so i have to register it as equipment which is going to cost around $300 for plates.

Magicman

Ouch, mine is considered farm equipment (same as a hay bailer) and has no license plate.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AlpineCutter

I thought it should be something like that. I am going to the county office again tomorrow and see if i can make that happen too.

crowhill

I was told by Motor Vehicles the same as MM, considered farm equipment no need for registration, but that was 15 years ago.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Chuck White

Same as Lynn said!

No plate required, because IT IS NOT a trailer, it is a piece of equipment!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PAmizerman

I was told my mill is considered what they called an implemant of husbandry. Same as like a wood splitter. As long as you don't haul anything on it it's not considered a trailer. At least that's what I was told  PA does. Not sure for you're state but I'd ask about implemants of husbandry.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

AlpineCutter

Thanks for the replies guys! I was also wondering why i would need plates when i see log splitters all the time that dont have plates.

WV Sawmiller

My state does not require a license for my mill - they consider it a piece of mobile equipment. I do know when I bought my mill WM provided me a separate title to the trailer and to the mill just in case I ever had to get a license. Good luck finding the best option in your state.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

irvi00

Slap a orange triangle on it and claim farm equipment. Easier to beg forgiveness.

Darrel

Oregon told me that my mill is a fixed weight trailer and wanted to charge me $75 for plates.  I told them if my fixed weight trailer needed plates than so did all the other fixed weight trailers that people use for hey balers. They said I had a point that just might stand up in court but in the meantime I needed to buy plates. I decided to take my chance in court if I ever get stopped. I've been followed by more than one state trooper and never got stopped so I think I did the right thing.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

When I am traveling mine looks like this.

An older picture before I made the rectangular sign.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: irvi00 on October 31, 2017, 10:06:16 PM
Slap a orange triangle on it and claim farm equipment. Easier to beg forgiveness.
The problem with a triangle farm equipment "plate" is you are limited to how fast you can go, IIRC, like 15 or 20 mph.  That is a sign of an always slow moving vehicle, like a tractor.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tom the Sawyer

Although considered "agricultural" for property tax purposes (exempt), Kansas does require tags on sawmills.  If you fall under USDOT, it also requires a permanent tag on a sawmill (I am considered an interstate, private, motor carrier subject to USDOT regulation).  What other states require is anecdotal, you need to verify what Colorado requires. 

It takes a bit more work but, if you are under an exemption, it is a good idea to make a photocopy of the regulatory exemption and carry it with you.  If you travel in more than one state, as I do, it is a good idea to carry that type of information with you for reciprocity considerations.  If it is something uncommon, as sawmills on the roadway seem to be, some officers/deputies/troopers will write a citation (especially you appear deceptive or feign ignorance) and let the prosecutor or judge figure it out - which costs you time and money to challenge.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

ljohnsaw has same observation I do. I am very certain the triangle sets you up for a ticket if driving anywhere close to highway speeds. Tom is right - doesn't matter what other states require or allow. You have to comply with yours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TKehl

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 31, 2017, 10:37:13 PM
Quote from: irvi00 on October 31, 2017, 10:06:16 PM
The problem with a triangle farm equipment "plate" is you are limited to how fast you can go, IIRC, like 15 or 20 mph.  That is a sign of an always slow moving vehicle, like a tractor.

Had a friend of mine get a ticket for driving too fast while displaying a slow moving sign (wasn't speeding). 

I don't know how MO handles it as neither of mine have wheels.  I would be okay with the $50 permanent plate.  It's the sales tax they charge to get the title to get the tag that would bite.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Chuck White

I've had County Sherriff Deputy tell me that the max speed in NY with a SMV sign posted is 25MPH.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

In Florida, the DMV says if it's towed behind a vehicle it's a trailer and needs a tag.  Trailer tags are rated/priced by weight.  An LT50 makes for a pretty heavy "trailer."
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

AlaskaLes

Alaska DMV told me that our 185CFM Sullair compressor was in the Mobile Equipment category.
I'd never heard of that before but was all too happy to NOT pay for more licensing and fees.
Sawmill would be in this same category, but it's mounted semi-permanent now.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: nomad on November 01, 2017, 09:41:30 AM
     In Florida, the DMV says if it's towed behind a vehicle it's a trailer and needs a tag.  Trailer tags are rated/priced by weight.  An LT50 makes for a pretty heavy "trailer."
I had a CHP officer tell me if it has wheels that touch the road in California, it needs plate...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Gearbox

Don't tell MN that I can't pull my grain wagon at 40 MPH . I use it to deliver wood it the buyer has a tractor to dump it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Darrel

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 01, 2017, 11:08:18 PM
Quote from: nomad on November 01, 2017, 09:41:30 AM
I had a CHP officer tell me if it has wheels that touch the road in California, it needs plate...

I find this interesting because when I lived in California I was riding with a friend while towing his mill. He got stopped for a taillight and was told that buying plates was a waste of money on implements of husbandry. He took the plates off and quit paying fees.

A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

I actually had the Mississippi Highway Patrol "Fatality Investigator" to tell me to put a Triangle on my sawmill. 

I did and ran if for several years and then added the flasher.

The present setup is a rectangle and the flasher.  My idea was/is to eliminate any possible depth perception between the uneven tail/stop lights.

woodweasel

SineWave

Virginia law says:

Exemptions for Sawmill Operators and Farmers Transporting Wood Products

Tractors, trailers, log carts or similar vehicles owned by a sawmill operator are exempt from registration when the vehicle is operated along a highway from one sawmill or sawmill site to another, to or from a repair shop for repairs or across a highway from one adjoining tract of land to another. (Va. Code § 46.2-669)

So I'm assuming no tag required...

DanMc

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd tag along with this one.  

Anybody have any insight about license plate requirements for a portable mill in MA?  Looks like there's a lot of ambiguity on this topic, even with the gov't people that should know.  If MA requires a plate, I'll get one from Maine.  There you can get "semi-permanent" plates that are good for 10 years.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Thank You Sponsors!