iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cedar cookies

Started by xlogger, October 31, 2017, 07:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I had a cedar log that I thought would be nice cutting into cookies yesterday, so I gave it a try. Do you think it will crack? I'm going to try more this week maybe cutting some at an angle. Already got interest in them.

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

There is good money there.  I am going to be cutting some cedar ones, too, in the next day or two.  I plan to rip some strips of 1/2" plywood and use them as stickers so that I can stack the cookies in layers that will help to slow the drying and hopefully minimize cracking.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TKehl

Based on the cedar clocks my great uncle used to build, some will crack and others won't.  Cracks won't be as bad as on other species though.

I went through some of the cookies I cut from standing dead Oak hoping for some luck.  They are interesting because they mostly only cracked in the heart, not through to the sapwood.  Some have a lot of "character".   ::)

Cedar ovals should have a high success rate.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

caveman

The more undulations you have the less they will crack.  The cedar cookies I've sawn have been pretty stable.  A woman who lives in Michigan during the summer and here during the cooler months bought one or two 20"-24" cedar cookies from us last winter.  A few weeks ago she contacted me to ensure that we would have more.  They behaved well for her and she intends to purchase more.  I think she backs them with plywood to make tables out of.
Caveman

btulloh

What do cedar cookies like that sell for?  Just wondering.
HM126

plantman

I've read that soaking the wood with anti-freeze prevents cracking. I've never tried it myself and I don't know if it would discolor the wood but it might be worth a try. Antifreeze comes in orange and yellow color too, I believe.

WLC

Never tried antifreeze, but have soaked lathe turned bowls in denatured alcohol. Helped speed the drying process so I could finish turn the green wood bowls quicker and they didn't crack as much as just the typical air dried bowls do.  I would think a long and slow drying process would be best with these cookies. 

They are sure nice looking!!!!
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There have been a few articles written about antifreeze, but it is much better to use polyethylene glycol 300, called PEG-300.  It is not poisonous and has low flammability and does work well with urethane finishes.  If one reads the cautions for antifreeze, you might see why it is reasonable to avoid antifreeze.

If you sell wood with a chemical in the wood, you are required to also provide a CIS, consumer information sheet, that details the chemical in case it might hurt a consumer.  Some people are allergic.  Babies can put the wood in their mouth.  Etc.

Many of the chemicals in cedar that give it its good red color are water and alcohol soluble.  So, be prepared for color and aroma loss.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

I'm cutting more different slabs now, looking for that special person that likes them. Yesterday I cut this oval slabs out of cedar. I've got a 18' sycamore that I'm thinking about cutting oval slabs out of half of it, leaving the larger half maybe to qs. Been looking at YH reverse roll, but but not sure about all the edging . Might need to visit someone that done this first :). Cutting ovals on my slabber is easier than on bandmill but slower. I cut about half of the log then move it to my bandmill, by then the toe boards with a little extension on them holds the rest in place till it gets smaller and then I drop the toe board down with only the log clamp holding the rest.

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Savannahdan

Those oval slabs look awesome and would be great for camp signs.   
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

I cut 80 cedar cookies today.  Going to sticker them and see how that works.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

plantman

If you go to www.woodenboat.com and search Dave Carnell you will find articles in which he discusses his research into glycol treated wood. You also might search Bora-care as that is a product used to treat wood to prevent mold and insect damage. Lots of good info on that website.

Magicman

Got ERC cookies??

Happy Lady.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TKehl

Lot's of cookies.  Maybe a few cakes!   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!