iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sold my equipment tried underground mining. Going back logging again

Started by U.P mich, October 30, 2017, 10:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

U.P mich

I have a magnetic stick similar to that for cutting firewood. ThAt goes on the bar I find it works great for that.

barbender

Quote from: mike_belben on November 08, 2017, 09:37:47 AM
I think youre missing my question U.P.    ill rephrase.

When i haul in a load of fresh cut white oak sawlogs that scales 1300 board foot and weighs 23,000 lbs.. How many cord have i got?   Only way i can think to figure it out is cut/split/stack and count how many cord it makes.  I suppose if it was all one length of logs i could measure the bundle dimension and find cubic volume of the shape.

2 1/2-3 cords, weight is irrelevant. Roughly 500bf per cord.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

Quote from: bushmechanic on November 08, 2017, 08:24:17 PM
We used to lug around a measuring stick, now we have the measure on the saw. It's great you never lose it and it's always with you.

i haven't seen a tail in years. back in the 4ft days around here everybody had one

Ed_K

I used to run a tail when I first started. It's just not Accurate enough it your bucking for grade.
Ed K

Crusarius

What about using a pole from a dome tent? The ones that fold up to I think 18" long? small, lightweight, can mark various lengths then unfold when needed.

Corley5

Depending on what I'm cutting I use either a 100" stick with a two foot mark on each end or a 126" stick with a 100" mark on each end.  Ironwood works the best but sugar maple is fine ;D  Bright paint on them makes them easier to keep track of.  I tried Spencers and never liked them.  The old Contractor Grade Stanleys worked better for me.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!