iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sold my equipment tried underground mining. Going back logging again

Started by U.P mich, October 30, 2017, 10:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

U.P mich

Logging markets got real bad and my quotas got cut in half early summer. Got an opportunity to go underground mining. Have been doin that for 3 months.  Well it's not logging so I'm goin back to the woods.  Just wanted to share that . Now I know for certain where I belong and no matter how much greener the grass may look in someone else's yard.  The grass in your yard is better because it's yours and you grew it.

sawguy21

Good for you. I'll take green grass and the sun on my face any day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PA_Walnut

UP Mich, my mom's from up your way (Marquette area) and told many tales of whoa about her father being a miner. Sounds like tough going!  :o

We visited with the kids last Aug! Lake Michigan and Superior are amazingly beautiful. Lovely area...we'll be back soon.

Here's some pix from our visit!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Gearbox

I don't think I could be a Mole . I would stay on top with a chain saw to .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Corley5

Once a logger always a logger :)  I don't think I could work underground :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

nativewolf

PA Walnut,

Great great pictures.  Wish I had your touch.  Do you belong to any photo clubs?
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Native,
I don't belong to any clubs, but I have been a photographer and cinematographer for 20+ years, so it's what I do!  ;D
Thanks for the compliments. It's easy when visiting special places like that!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

JJ

I have a daughter with a eye for photography like your pictures.  I take picture of same thing she does, and somehow hers belongs in a frame.
Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures.

JJ

JJ

It's all about light.  How did you get enough light for the spectacular Milky Way photo?

Ianab

Quote from: JJ on October 31, 2017, 10:09:39 PM
It's all about light.  How did you get enough light for the spectacular Milky Way photo?

A REALLY bright flash?  :D

But seriously a modern digital camera will take that sort of pic if you set it on a tripod, wind open the aperture, up the ISO and set it for 10-30 second exposure. The cameras sensor can pick up faint light better than our eyes, as long as you give it a long exposure.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

U.P mich

Yes this is an amazing area we call home here In the upper penninsula Michigan. We really are blessed with the lakes and rivers and trees etc .   I'm glad I don't have to spend my time underground anymore.   Life's to short and the scenery is to good to not spend the day in it.   

PA_Walnut

Yes, we'll be up for a visit again real soon!

As for the pix (light, etc.) the comment about modern cameras is only partially accurate/true. People are very excited to get a new camera, often forgetting that mega-pixels, blinky lights and lots of dials and buttons don't make for good pix--LENSES DO! (everything starts there.).

I have a set of primes lenses that are most excellent and very fast. Almost necessary for astro photography. It's a great way to get outside at night and see a whole other world!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Ianab

True. A better lens allows a larger aperture setting for night shots, which coupled with the other things improves a shot like that a lot. Huge mpix make little difference unless you are trying to crop or print it on the side of a building.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

nativewolf

Quote from: U.P mich on November 01, 2017, 01:26:25 AM
Yes this is an amazing area we call home here In the upper penninsula Michigan. We really are blessed with the lakes and rivers and trees etc .   I'm glad I don't have to spend my time underground anymore.   Life's to short and the scenery is to good to not spend the day in it.

I think I hijacked the thread a bit but at least it was complimentary to your decision to stay above ground. 

Out of curiosity what was the mineral/ore being mined?
Liking Walnut

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

You going to buy some iron or go to work for someone?    Plenty of used stuff out there right now. More like a flood really.

nativewolf

Quote from: thecfarm on November 01, 2017, 02:16:02 PM
Not the first one to get hijacked.  :D
If it had to get hijacked at least it was started by some great pictures of his State.
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

No hijack intent...more of a positive reinforcement that while the grass may look greener over there, it's really green where you're standing! ;)
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

U.P mich

I'm looking at equipment as we speak. Lots of decent used equipment out there right now so it shouldn't take to long to find what I'm looking for.  Can't wait !  Logging is a labor of love for sure. 

nativewolf

so back to pulp?  Custom harvesting?  Veneer?  What's the plan?
Liking Walnut

Gary_C

Quote from: U.P mich on October 30, 2017, 10:40:51 PM
Logging markets got real bad and my quotas got cut in half early summer.

Are you thinking that logging markets got better since summer?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hilltop366

Quote from: thecfarm on November 01, 2017, 02:16:02 PM
Not the first one to get hijacked.  :D

But this time it wasn't about food!

Well it is the "milky" way.

BLink

Let me know if you run into some nice curly or birdseye maple logs.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

U.P mich

Not that the markets have gotten that much better tho sad to say the hurricane did give the local markets a lil bump up.  I just realized it really doesn't matter what the prices are, I'm gonna cut timber until I physically or financially cannot possibly do it anymore lol .  It took a few months of mining for me to realize that .  So I'm heading to custom harvesting/ cutting for companies .  Before I was mainly a pulp producer . Now I'm focusing on more of a niche market . Small acerage private land owners who can't get the larger operations to come cut for them.  Also select harvesting for companies now and again.  Have a fair amount of work lined up for winter.  Winters my favorite time to log so I'm excited to get back at it.

Thank You Sponsors!