iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chains

Started by minn firewood cutter, October 30, 2017, 09:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minn firewood cutter

seeing how you guys prefer using chains on your skidders when u have 1 pair of bear paws and 1 pair of ice chains. bear paws in front ice chains on back? Thanks

Maine logger88

Yes if I was going to run that combo that's how I'd do it. I personally prefer ice chains on all 4
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 30, 2017, 09:06:56 PM
I personally prefer ice chains on all 4
x 100 ;D   I would quit logging if they only made bear paw chains thems the roughest  riding piles of  poo ever made :D

U.P mich

I always liked the bear paws on back for pulling traction and the ice pics in front so the Skidder would steer better on frozen ground.  But yes bear paws are rough riding on hard ground.

BargeMonkey

That 460 of mine will actually be a nice skidder when I get around to putting the ring chains on the front 😂. I personally hate ice chain, at least on the front. Depends on what kind of ground your working on. Ring chains do make good ice skates.

Spartan

I just put brand new chains on one month ago.  I run ring chains up front, ice chains on rear.  In deep snow the ice chains will pack the snow instead of clear it out, poorer traction.  also backing up steep hills you want the rings where the weight is, up front, ice cleats dont do so well on climbing over down green wood.  The rings will grab it or mulch it.
I keep a set of ice chains on the rear for side-hilling.  In winter they slip less with a load on ice than the ring chains.
I have run machines with ring chains only, and ice chains only.  Thats why I run both on mine.  each has merit.

BTW, I got some tight ring chains, super smooth on hard ground.

minn firewood cutter

Thanks guys for your input

Thank You Sponsors!