iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Tree Fell in My yard, Need Pointers

Started by JDogg, October 30, 2017, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDogg

Hey everyone,  I figured this would be a good place to ask, please direct me to the proper forum if not.  This tree fell in my parents yard last week, and although we all know our way around a chainsaw, I wanted some feedback on how to properly bring this tree down completely (see pics).  I realize this could be dangerous potentially as we are not professionals, but if there is a reasonable method to bring it down, then please share your advice. 

thecfarm

I have been at for more than 30 years,but that tree is looking bad to me.

I would start with the limbs,but I did not say that.  :o
Anyway to pull that over? But I suppose there is too much holding wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, that's nasty. I would try and pull it the rest of the way down. I had on e of those on my tree farm but it was out of the way, 6 months later Mother Nature took care of it for me.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

TKehl

From your other pictures in the gallery, it looks like a clean break or close to it that landed on what's left of the trunk.

First:  Cut any top limbs that aren't under stress just to clean up and simplify the problem.  Keeps other potential issues from hiding in the leaves.
Second:  Hook onto a sturdy upper limb and (from a safe distance) pull the top away from the trunk that is still standing.   Should drop from there.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Savannahdan

Yep, it's nasty and I agree with what others have said.  Also, welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Thank You Sponsors!