iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 038AV Magnum II

Started by JJinAK, November 08, 2017, 12:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJinAK

So in one of those friend of a friend who is moving and selling off everything kind of situations, a guy has a Stihl 038AV Magnum II w/ a 32" b/c.  I always thought these were a pretty popular item, but I have no idea what they're worth.  Supposedly a lightly used/good condition saw.  The number thrown around so far is $150.  I certainly don't need another item, but.......

I know this is a loaded question, but any thoughts on the value?
MS461
MS362

ZeroJunk

In that condition it would probably go for $400 on Ebay.

My brother in law bought one in similar condition at a yard sale for $20 .

So, there you go. ;D

drobertson

If it has good compression, the first thing I would do is throw down 150 bucks and go to the house, these were in my opinion one of the best saws that has came out,

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

HolmenTree

I'm referring to a professional end user saw here:
Stihl 038 Magnum at 72cc first introduced in 1985 was Stihl's good attempt to offer a good middle weight saw.
But the celebration ended quickly the next year when the 064AV was introduced, 85cc and lighter then the 038 Magnum.
The 038 Magnum ll kept the flame burning up until 1988-89 when the next level 70cc class pro saw was born, the 044AV. 
But I do admit you won't find a more solid reliable powerhouse of a saw for casual everyday  work then the 038 Magnum ll.
It still lives on sold in other parts of the world as a MS380/381/382.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JJinAK

Thanks for the information.

I really don't "need" another saw, but......
MS461
MS362

Al_Smith

150 judging by what it looks like is a good price .Very  reliable saw .I have two,an early model plus a Brazilian made model which is later . I'd prefer it over an 044/Ms 440 but that's just a personal preference .

dbholfo

I have an '89 038 Super which is two cc's less in size I believe. I once cut thru 25' of a 36" oak trunk with it and eventually wore out the 36" bar I bought it with. As I aged I downsized to an 18" bar. I have never had any problems my local shop couldn't handle. I think mine is worth $350 so if you can get that one for $150 I think you should. If nothing else use it for a few times and then sell it for a profit.

Thank You Sponsors!