Stihl ms 461

Started by Ptayls, October 30, 2017, 10:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptayls

Hello I'm new to this forum. I've been cutting wood for a few years,I'm an amateur Chainsaw user and mainly use a mtronic ms 261. I'm cutting large fallen beech and oak trees and fine my current saw too small as some trunks of these trees are 30-35 inch in diameter. I would like to get a larger saw like the Stihl ms 461 and put a 25 inch bar on it. What put me off is that fact it has an adjustable carburettor and I would struggle to retune it when the need arises. Is it as difficult as I'm imagining or is it relatively easy? I have seen that the Stihl ms 462 is out in the UK next year,mtronic,I'm thinking maybe I should wait for that. Any help and advice would be much appreciated

screwsloose

It looks like no one answered you. This is kind of late but here it goes. Chainsaws are not really all that hard to adjust. You could always take it back to where you bought it. Or i would think someone has a video on how to do it. I hav had my ms290 for 8years and have only adjusted it once. The local shop here can get it close but i like to think i can get it closer. I always adjust the carb on the high end take it to full power and turn the high adjustment screw till it reaches peak rpm. Then turn the screw in just a little bit so it is on the rich side til the rpms die down a bit. Then set the low end so it idles without the chain moving. If set properly it will rev from low to high seamlessly. Usually carbs need adjustment because they were dirty  and you disassembled them. Try to run no ethanol gasand the adjustments should be far and few between.