iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper way to saw these big logs

Started by Mcavvie, October 29, 2017, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcavvie

I bought these logs from a local home owner. I don't have a use for them right now, but want to saw them for later use. Was thinking about sawing into live edge planks and sticking them. What are your suggestions?

Wood-Mizer LT15, Bolens 1900H Eliminator, JD 2018 3039r/FEL/forks, Komatsu PC18MR2 mini ex.

Stuart Caruk

Some people prefer brunette's, others red heads, me I prefer blonds...
Personally I hate live edged slabs. I rather trim the boards into a cant for storage, or saw the can'ts into boards. Unless you have an edger, then slabs that will fit through it work great.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

GAB

You could make some Poston flower boxes and be the envy of your neighbors.
With the inside pieces you could make some live edge on one side and straight edge the other side pieces.  These fit against a wall nicely.  The possibilities are only limited by ones lack of imagination.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you have the tools to make tenon legs,
I'd take these aged logs and make rustic benches. Saw into 3 -4 inch slabs. You can stain some, or let them darken on their own.
You have hundred's of dollars in benches there.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mcavvie

I won't be making furniture out of them. I'm thinking about sawing them into 2 or 3" slabs, a size so I can resale later into 2x4's, boards or whatever,then store them to dry, until I find some that wants them, or use them myself. Just don't want to saw them into lumber right now.
Wood-Mizer LT15, Bolens 1900H Eliminator, JD 2018 3039r/FEL/forks, Komatsu PC18MR2 mini ex.

Kbeitz

When i don't know what to do with the log I have I cut them into the biggest
square cant that I can... I can always cut them again later.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

TKehl

Hard to make money (or even break even) competing with automated sawmills and big box stores on dimensional lumber.  (Theirs is also kiln dried and planed.)  There have been several sawmill "confessionals" about buying 2x4s etc.

Since you say you bought them and mention resale, I'll bet you don't want to sell lumber at a loss or sit on it forever.  Best to make stuff you can get a better return on.

Personally, I also see benches or name signs for a yard.  Whether you build them or sell the slabs to someone that does, that's one of the best returns.  Especially since they look like they may be spalted.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

drobertson

If you get a good sticker job, and the logs and lumber behave, it may be a good idea to saw out live edge and especially if you are planing on resawing later, those should make some nice workable lumber once sized to dimensions, sticker good,,be sure to weight them down,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brad_bb

I found with hardwood cants, that it's better to saw it to the final product than to cut it into the biggest cant and let it sit.  I had too much checking that reduced the quality of any boards.  Sawing it into the final sizes right off, be it 1x, 2x or slabs, better to do it right up front.  This will helps reduce checking.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

If you saw them live edge, say 2" thick, then they can be stickered to start drying now, and should stay good, indefinitely if they are stored correctly. As opposed to leaving them in log form where they wont dry properly, and will probably stain / check / be eaten by bugs etc.

Then once dry you have to option to resaw them in dimensioned boards, or sell them as wide slabs, with or without the live edges. Some folks wont straight edges, some live, some with one live edge, and one straight.

You have the options either way.

Making 2x4s would be my last choice because they can be bought so cheap it's hardly worth the effort to saw them. But good 12 x 2s are actually worth money, a LOT more than three 2x4s.

But I guess it depends what your customers want.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

js2743

from a home owner, was they yard trees?

69bronco

Looks like a little blue stain, maybe some worm holes. I'd go live edge for benches, bar tops etc. Make sure you've got dry stickers, pine and sticker burn go hand and hand.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with Ian on cutting into slabs and stickering. Can always edge them later if needed for framing or you can sell to others to make benches and such. I bought a tenon cutter and make live edge 2" mortise and tenon benches. I used to make them thicker but they were too heavy and 2" is plenty sturdy.

When I do saw stock I make it a little oversized and as big/wide as I can. I can always resaw a 2X12 into 2X6's or 2X4s or a 2x8 & a 2X4, etc. Like they say - You can always make them smaller.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mcavvie

I'm with Ian too, was kinda thinking that was what I was going to do.

Mcavvie

Finally got those logs sawed. A big letdown tho, worms had ate into the outside 6" of each log, but was able to get some nice 2x 16's and 2 2x18 , and 4 2x6's from the center with no worm holes. All the boards and 2x4's are full of worm holes. Sawed them by myself, what a job! My left wrist and left elbow are feebly it know.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/47399/5C4D59AF-FC5D-426A-80DD-948376B27B9D.jpeg

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/47399/ED75CD9E-3F13-49AF-9436-E8E2F77E350E.jpeg

Kbeitz

worm hole wood can bring in big money...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

47sawdust

Some people like the character of boards that have worm holes in them.It's like blue stained pine boards.If you call it blue denim pine designer types really go for it.

Kbeitz was faster on the trigger.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!