iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

importance of tooth setting?

Started by PAmizerman, October 29, 2017, 04:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

I'm thinking of starting to sharpen my own blades. I am pretty certain I'll be getting the bms250 from woodmizer. I definitely want a CBN. I'm a little confused as to what setter to get though. So my question is how important. Is setting teeth? What kind of problems will I get with a blade that is not set properly? I saw 99% hemlock lumber and am in the process of switching over to primarily turbo 7 blades.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

justallan1

In my opinion setting is just as important as sharpening. If you have one side pushed in or out more than the other your blade is going to dive up or down. I would sure think that if both sides are pushed in you will be heating up your blade, plus putting more drag on your engine. If you have one or more teeth sticking out you are going to be marking.
I will say this, in my opinion it would be a waste of money to buy a grinder and not buy a setter. You would end up with nice sharp bands that could very well be useless.
I'm quite sure there are better answers for your question coming along soon.

Kbeitz

I really think that the setting is more important that having a sharp blade.
I do know you can still cut with a dull blade but you can cut squat with a
blade that has no set. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

I agree with  justallan1, If you're going to the expense of buying a sharpener, then by all means get a setter too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

From what I've heard, single setters are more accurate, but way slower,. I did my own without setting for three and four sharpenings,  typically, I figured if 7 to 10 thousand bdft could be obtained from a 18 buck blade? then that's not to shabby of a return,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Crusarius

Anybody ever think about making a pair of rollers for setting the set? you would have to have a pair for each set you are after, but it would sure make it quick and easy. Thought about this after all the roll your blade debates.

Would not be that hard to make a set of rollers with set built into them.

Kbeitz

I have two automatic tooth setters but they don't use rollers.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Quote from: Crusarius on October 30, 2017, 09:59:12 AM
Anybody ever think about making a pair of rollers for setting the set? you would have to have a pair for each set you are after, but it would sure make it quick and easy. Thought about this after all the roll your blade debates.

Would not be that hard to make a set of rollers with set built into them.

I am not so sure it would take different rollers,, just a way to adjust them,,a sliding block with tight gibs might work.  the issue I see that might come up would be the additional adjustment needed for the rollers independent of the set adjustment, to compensate for differing blade thickness,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

YellowHammer

For what it's worth, I have a Cooks dual tooth setter, it's got good and bad points, but it will set a band in about 2 1/2 minutes, give or take. It's OK accurate, has two dial indicators to confirm set, and mostly built like a tank. 

I set every time I sharpen, especially as it gets colder, sometimes just so I have an excuse to stay in my heated shop. :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

Setting is more of a pain than sharpening. If your buying a CBN might as well get a dual tooth setter and do it right. The Cooks have a series of you tube videos that will give you some ideas. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

barbender

I have a Suffolk Dual Tooth. I'm happy with it, mine is an older model that doesn't have a guage on it. I've found that I can usually get away without setting for a sharpening or two, but that was because I bought my sharpener (Cook's) before I bought my setter. What that accomplished is that now that I have a setter, I have a backlog of about 100 twice sharpened blades to work through😊 If you have the cash, get the setter, too👍
Too many irons in the fire

fishfighter

I found that after three sharpening, I have to reset the teeth. Heck, really after the second. ;D

bandmiller2

If a band is cutting well I will check the set, and if its close not touch it. Give or take a little doesn't make much difference. Frank C.

Kbeitz

I made this home made setter and I'm really liking it. It does the job.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

crowhill

Geez kbeitz, how many days do you have in an hour?!!  :D
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

bandmiller2

Kbeitzy you not only think outside  the box, you threw it away. Now what you need are a set of vicegrips  with rollers to flatten  bands. Maybe vicegrip dual setter.?? Frank C.

Kbeitz

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 31, 2017, 07:51:37 AM
Kbeitzy you not only think outside  the box, you threw it away. Now what you need are a set of vicegrips  with rollers to flatten  bands. Maybe vicegrip dual setter.?? Frank C.

I have never found the need to roll my bands. I run my bands until they snap.
I never switch to a new blade until I use up what I have on the saw. If it's not
working right I stop and sharpen or set. I was even welding my blades back but
I don't think it's worth my time. They don't last long after the first break. This
might not work for everyone but it works for me. I think the reason I don't need
to roll my bands is that I just add more set to make up for the cup.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

delvis

If you're getting a nice sharpener like that, pay the extra money and get the sharpener too.  You can always sharpen and set fire outside customers if you want to bring in some extra mobey to help cover the additional expense of equipment.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

JB Griffin

Suffolk make the most accurate dual tooth setter, next is woodmizer, cooks is probably the most inaccurate dual tooth setter. Single tooth setters are across the board more accurate than any dual tooth bar none.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

JB Griffin

The problem with all dual tooth setters is you can't correct over set teeth without getting out of sequence, or they simply miss them. With a single setter you simply catch em on the other side and give em a push.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

PAmizerman

Thanks for all the input. JB have you used all three setters that you mentioned?
The new Suffolk dual tooth setters I was looking at will  correct over set teeth I believe. How often do you have a blade that has overset? I have not done any band sharpening so any input is appreciated.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

JB Griffin

I have used a cooks and would never buy one. I am buying a used suffolk and wright sharpener and already own a cooks single tooth setter. The info I shared comes from a reliable source, a friend of mine who sharpens bandsaw blades for a living. No I have not layed hands on anything but both cooks and a wm single.

Chuck White

IMHO, no setter is absolutely perfect with just one push!

I have a Cooks Single-Tooth setter and sometimes I have to push the same tooth a couple of times before it's within my tolerance (.025-.030), so I know that a dual-tooth setter has to have some error also!

Some people probably don't care that there are some marks on their lumber from an overset tooth or two, but I don't like it, so I'll change the blade!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

I haven't set many bands with my Suffolk Dual Tooth, but I am very happy with the results I'm getting with it. As I mentioned, mine doesn't have the set guage, so I've just been measuring the set with a dial caliper. It makes a few minutes to get it dialed in, once both sides are adjusted to an even set, I set the blade and don't look back.Put on the next blade and repeat. Every once in a while I'll spot check a few teeth to make sure everything is good. It only takes 2-3 minutes to set a band once the setter is adjusted. I got my setter off of Ebay, the guy said he used to build the setters for Suffolk. I think I paid $500 for it, I can't remember for sure.  I just remember it was a lot less than a new unit from Suffolk, and I don't think their price is bad. The difference between mine and the newer model, mainly, is that the new one has blocks on both sides of the tooth so that it can down set an overset tooth. They also have a clamp on set guage, which I think I can also use on mine.

loganworks2

There is a brand new Suffolk setter on ebay for $695.00 right now

PAmizerman

I see one on eBay for $680. It's the old style that doesn't upset and doesn't have the dial guage.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

tawilson

Quote from: PAmizerman on November 01, 2017, 10:30:17 AM
I see one on eBay for $680. It's the old style that doesn't upset and doesn't have the dial guage.
I'm sure I saw on their site that you can buy an upgrade kit.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

barbender

Probably the same seller I got mine from.

PAmizerman

I got a price on the retrofit kit for the setter and a price on a dial indicator and depth guage. Thats what is missing from the one on eBay. I will be further ahead to just order a brand new one.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Thank You Sponsors!