iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeding the fish in the back garden.

Started by Ianab, October 27, 2017, 11:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Lil says today, "Wonder if the Eels are still down in the creek?" Grabbed some old fish from the freezer and went to check.

Yup. This girl is about the biggest eel I've seen down there. Had to roll on her side to get through the shallows. Hard to judge scale, but I'd guess about 5ft long. All the big ones like this are females.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evzG7vBVn-4
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ReggieT

WV Sawmiller

Ian,

Pretty neat. I have seen TV shows showing them but great to see in real life. Do you guys catch or eat any of them or just feed them as pets?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

These ones are basically pets, but they are good eating, especially smoked. One that big is maybe 70 years old.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishpharmer

I think I just saw the Lochness Monster! :o 8)
Thanks for sharing Ianab, very cool!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DelawhereJoe

I've heard that there raw blood is very toxic and 3 table spoons will kill you, or was it 3 tea spoons. Largest eel I've ever caught was in the Atlanta ocean and was almost 3' long, I hate catching them and would only ever eat an eel if I was about to starve to death.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Banjo picker

When I was a kid we caught an eel and ate it while we was camping down by the river.  It was alright as long as it was eaten while hot.  Don't know what kind it was, might not even be related to those.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Stuart Caruk

Oooooo, Wolf eel is about the best tasting fish I have ever eaten. I've only managed to shoot them with a speargun, and even then only with a 3 band or pneumatic. Wolf eel is the only sea creature I've ever hunted that if you don't kill it, it will come back at you with a vengance. Super ugly, tough as steel, but ummmnnnn tasty.

If I ever managed to catch one on a line, there is zero chance that I would bring it aboard a boat without shooting it first though.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Ianab

A bit over dramatised for TV, but here's an excerpt from the River Monsters show on NZ Eels.  They don't normally attack people, but then we also don't make a habit of dipping ourselves in fish guts and then going swimming.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnmYtReNDMA

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

fishfighter

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on October 28, 2017, 07:28:42 PM
I've heard that there raw blood is very toxic and 3 table spoons will kill you, or was it 3 tea spoons. Largest eel I've ever caught was in the Atlanta ocean and was almost 3' long, I hate catching them and would only ever eat an eel if I was about to starve to death.

I agree 100%. Hate it when I hook them on trout lines. Heck, I even caught a saltwater eel that was way over 7'. Got it to the boat and just cut my line. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!