iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A great day cutting Yellow Cedar

Started by Percy, October 27, 2017, 11:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

We have an order for a huge house  being built somewheres where money is no object. The builder told the broker who told us, its all gotta be clear. I seen the grocery list of
beams which we are only cutting a portion of. Russelled up some "D" logs(top of the line) of the Alaskan Yellow cedar and went to work.

This was about 6 cuts into the program. The cuts didn't take nearly as long as the precise placement of the 37 inch behemoth to avoid hangups. it was fairly round with no knotts or bulges to mess me up. Time well spent.

Clamping and turning a cant as large and expensive as this one has to be done with care. See sacrificial WRC shims to protect it.

My 2003 LT70 has 29 inches max of blade to the wind. I was sucking in my gut on this cut. ;D ;D

I use 13 degree blades on softwoods always. Nice finish and dead strait cuts. Sometimes I like to whine about features of my mill that annoy me. Today, I was proud of it. Approaching 11,000 hours and still doing it like a champ....Now if the LT70 was 6 inches wider, Ida been done alot quicker......

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

highleadtimber16

Looking good! I find yellow cedar can be a bugger to saw sometimes. I have always run 10 degree for my red and yellow cedar, as well as fir. What're you running on your red cedar and fir?
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

4x4American

Looks great man  8)  nice order you got there eh?
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on October 27, 2017, 11:43:41 PM
Looking good! I find yellow cedar can be a bugger to saw sometimes. I have always run 10 degree for my red and yellow cedar, as well as fir. What're you running on your red cedar and fir?
Unfortunatley we dont get Doug Fir up here. For yellow cedar, Western Red Cedar and Sitka Spruce, I use 13 degree blades from WM and run 38-40 thou set. Ya it takes a bit more HP but on those wide cuts, especially with Sitka's Glass type knotts,  lots of set seems to help. I've used turbo 7 on occasion and they cut as good as the 13s but noticeably slower.

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on October 27, 2017, 11:45:50 PM
Looks great man  8)  nice order you got there eh?
Ya thanks..I could use your new wide 70 here. 35 inch max cut??

Peter Drouin

A job like that will slow you down some. But, the $$$ can be good. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dgdrls

Nice order Percey,  great photos,
speaks to your skill and expertise,   

D

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 28, 2017, 06:00:08 AM
A job like that will slow you down some. But, the $$$ can be good. ;)
Ya, slow is what Im doing with this. They dont want any damage and are paying enough to make it worth our while....  ;D

Percy

Quote from: dgdrls on October 28, 2017, 07:51:43 AM
Nice order Percey,  great photos,
speaks to your skill and expertise,   

D
Thanks for the compliment. ;D But, I think Im lucky most of the time.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Percy on October 28, 2017, 11:38:31 AM

Thanks for the compliment. ;D But, I think Im lucky most of the time.

Yeah... neah.... luck aint got much to do with it methinks.  I'm over people confusing "luck" with sweat, determination, long hours, skill, and a dash of OCD lately - take the compliment when its due off guys who know what goes into it will ya.

Nice job.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Sixacresand

Good job protecting the cant from the clamp.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

moodnacreek

ScottAR

Luck gets better the harder one works at it...  Nice job.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Percy

mad murdock

Dat DER is some nice cedar!!!! Great job on it!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!