iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sold a load of firewood this morning ha Ha

Started by Gearbox, October 27, 2017, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbox

We got 5 - 6 inches of snow last night . So this morning I was in no hurry to get out and fill the boiler knowing it was ok till 10 . Drinking my second cup or third when a pickup came up the drive . I went out and the guy wanted wood . Put my boots on and filled his PU . No need to plan ahead Gearbox always has wood . Soon Gearbox will have to buy wood from Barbender .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

OH logger

no kidding ive  had people call and say they just threw their last piesce of wood in the firebox. "how soon can you bring more?!"  people is stupid   :D
john

barbender

Haha, yeah you never know what folks are thinking😊
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

It's Spring here, so no one is thinking about firewood. Except my logger friend Blair.

He's bartered space in a big shed at a mutual friend's place where I'm also sawing some trees, and he's replaced the old iron on the sunny side with clear plastic to let the sun in, and he's filling it with split firewood. It's all softwood, but that's common firewood here, and he will have NO problem selling it for good $$ in 6 months time when the weather gets cold (and it's dry)

Of course the smart folks are buying green wood now, and it will be dry by winter. But they don't pay as much.  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: OH logger on October 27, 2017, 09:31:21 PM
no kidding ive  had people call and say they just threw their last piesce of wood in the firebox. "how soon can you bring more?!"  people is stupid   :D

Hey, I get these calls too!  We do mostly green wood, but every year I try and put up another 1,2,3 cord to dry.  I usually hold one or two cord till just before X-mass so I've got some $$$ for gifts.  This year I sold out all my dry stuff right off the bat!  I gave the wife $$$ for X-mass so I don't do anything dumb!

I'll deliver ASAP in an emergency, but running yourself out of wood because your lazy isn't a real emergency, so those folks have to pay "the stupid charge".

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Corley5

I've gotten rid of all my seasoned wood clients.  Everyone is on the green only plan now 8)  I had a couple of those people who took great pride in calling when they were down to their last couple sticks and wanted me to bring them wood NOW.  They're long gone.  I had a hay client like that too.  He'd call and tell me he needed hay and he had enough to feed that night and that was after I told him I needed three days notice.  Fixed him one Friday evening when he called and I was on the Mackinac Bridge headed to Da UP for a long weekend.  He paid the long dollar for small squares @ the local elevator  ;D  I don't miss dealing with hay.
  One winter when I used to do heating assistance wood I got a call fairly late in the day  from the Salvation Army wondering if I'd be willing to take a couple face cords of wood to an elderly woman who was out and wood was her sole source of heat.  I turned it down.  It was five degrees, snowing sideways, a 60 mile round trip, I didn't have any processed to just load, etc.  I felt bad but had to think of my family first.
  I put my firewood equipment away by the 1st of the year these days and don't take it back out until the frost laws go off in April.  The premium that dry wood brings isn't enough in this part of the country to make it worthwhile for me.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rjwoelk

I am the same, green wood or as dry as it comes to me in 16 ft lengths. On our website we let them know it is green and if they want dry wood get it in spring. To have 100s of cord sitting around drying is just to much $$$ tied up. And by nov 1 the temp is getting to were I just dont like to run the tractor or the hydraulics on the processor. We are putting ours into the wood shed today and tomorrow, around 7 + cord.  We only use about 5 a year at the most. and its been that way since mid 80s, but wait why am I still burning 5 cord a year are we not in global warming?   :D :D I guess winter has not been told.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

PNWRusty

Quote from: rjwoelk on October 30, 2017, 10:57:19 PM
We only use about 5 a year at the most. and its been that way since mid 80s, but wait why am I still burning 5 cord a year are we not in global warming?   :D :D I guess winter has not been told.

Well, you live on planet earth, but only in one small area on planet earth. There is a reason why it's called "global" warming. Because it's the average planetary temperature that is rising and the rise is not evenly distributed around the globe. Some places are actually cooler (but those places are in the minority). Many places average only slightly warmer (but with much greater annual variation). Global climate and local weather are related but are two very different things.

Bert

Im in the green wood club to. Used to try to accommodate the procrastinators but not anymore.
Saw you tomorrow!

OH logger

Quote from: PNWRusty on October 31, 2017, 09:04:55 AM
Quote from: rjwoelk on October 30, 2017, 10:57:19 PM
We only use about 5 a year at the most. and its been that way since mid 80s, but wait why am I still burning 5 cord a year are we not in global warming?   :D :D I guess winter has not been told.

Well, you live on planet earth, but only in one small area on planet earth. There is a reason why it's called "global" warming. Because it's the average planetary temperature that is rising and the rise is not evenly distributed around the globe. Some places are actually cooler (but those places are in the minority). Many places average only slightly warmer (but with much greater annual variation). Global climate and local weather are related but are two very different things.

oh wow!  this conversation just got real in a HURRY  :)
john

Gearbox

Well it sure went south . Global Changing is going to put me out of work . Oh well then I can retire again for the 6th time .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

rjwoelk

Well i guess pooched that tongue in check. Some one really believes in it. Thats it for now as i am not getting into a arguments.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

BargeMonkey

We do HEAP in NY, energy assistance for lower income, the vouchers are coming in now but we won't deliver until the 13th, not abnormal for 30-50 phone calls that morning crying because they are out of wood. Had one guy call at 1130pm the other night, he will be buying from someone else this yr. I would love to go green wood only, just never works put that way, I'm probably 10% green at the most goes out.

Logging logginglogging

two years ahead, dry coverd wood here....
never know when you will get injured and not be able to do wood for a while.

Gearbox

My idea is to be 5 years ahead that way when I die the wife won't forget me for 5 years . She may not remember all the time but she will when she fills the boiler .

Logging logginglogging

Ha... exactly.....
she has literally never even touched the new boiler yet....

Gearbox

Got another call yesterday furnace quit no parts until Tuesday . Got wood ? A fireplace with no wood to put in it . Oh well I can spare a pickup load .

Bruno of NH

Sold my first cord today
Delivering it afternoon :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dave_dj1

Unless I could get tree fiddy for a cord i couldn't sell any, to me it's just to much work and time. I do enjoy it but not to the extent of doing it every day.
Happy New Year  8)

hedgerow

I haven't sold wood in 15 years but it seems like when propane get high or we get a cold  snap like we are having now I still get calls from people looking for firewood. Got one Sunday morning a old customer had a broken furnace and was looking for wood to get the wood stove going. I told them I didn't have any wood for sale but could look at the furnace they only live about 8 miles away. They had called many service company's and no one could get to them until Tuesday. Went over and it just was a dirty flame sensor. cleaned it up and got it going. I install and service some furnaces on the side so I have a fair amount of parts around when needed. 

coxy

Quote from: Gearbox on December 22, 2017, 09:51:12 AM
My idea is to be 5 years ahead that way when I die the wife won't forget me for 5 years . She may not remember all the time but she will when she fills the boiler .
maybe she will sell all the wood just to forget about you  ;) and buy oil or move to a warmer place  :D

Thank You Sponsors!