iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4DTv Digicypher Satelite Receiver Model 922

Started by SwampDonkey, January 02, 2005, 04:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I know this has nothing to do with forestry, but hey, this is a general forum. :)

Just wanted to know if anyone on the forum had this unit for their big dish and if they are satisfied. Every month analog channels are going digital and my old recevier is now over 10 years old. I'm noticing some weekness in some channels and I've heard these old units where to have a lifespan of approx 10 years. I now have an opertunity to get a 2 yr old used unit for 1/3 the price of a brand new one.

I suspect most folks have gone to the small dishes, but the big dish receivers are still the best. I was wondering if those folks that own one of the 4dTV units have notices channels being discontinued or new ones added in the last couple years. Good or bad?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Percy

Heya S.D.
I have Star Choice(runt dish) so Im not really sure which unit you are talikin about. The DSS(is that what you have?) systems here in Terrace(big dish) are still around but dwindling in numbers. I talked to my buddy Harold Daumont who has a DSS, Starchoice AND Expressview and he does like the DSS(cheaper) alot but there is the card thing that always happens just when they expect it least, according to CRTC, DSS is only semi legal(whats that allabout??).
    My Starchoice is great but they have some ...billing problems....heh....dont wanna get into it but if you keep away from auto bill payments, you will be fine :). Sometimes(sale) you can get a system installed for about a 100 bucks. WAY better than the local cable service as far as picture quality.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

SwampDonkey

I've had big dish for over 20 years, I'm just now going digital on the big dish with 4dTV. My folks have the small dish (Starchoice) and don't like it because its more expensive than the big dish. With the big dish you can pick individual channels and with Starchoice you have to purchase a package like with cable. I seen the channels on the small dish and they have several channels with exactly the same programs. If I wasn't able to use big dish, I wouldn't have satelite at all. So in my situation the little dish losses either way. ;)

I was just curious if anyone had the 4dTv decoder and how they liked it.

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

I've got a dish digital video recorder receiver with a small, (on top of my roof) satelite dish thingy. Dish Network.  I called em when I moved in this house cause I wanted another receiver.  Somewhere in the conversation they mentioned they'd put me down for a standard receiver.  Got my attention.

So I asked em, IF I was getting a standard receiver, What was a non standard receiver.  I tricked it out of em.That's when they started telling me about the DVR thing.  I'd never heard of it.  I asked em how much more it cost, they said it was the same price.fifty dollars deposite and 5 dollars a month to rent.  They'd be responsible for it if it broke or quit.

I've had dish network for over three years with NO problems what so ever.  The DVR is really nice. I've had it about 6 months.You can pause a picture anytime so's you can answer the phone or talk to someone.  You can back it up and watch an instant replay if you want.  It will record 100 hours of movies and you don't even have to have a vcr or use a vcr tape.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Yes those DVR's are a difty devise to have. I don't have one, but still a nice piece of hardware to own. You guys down south have alot more programming options on those small dishes than we do up here. They limit the channels to benefit the canadian side of the programming. (supposedly) But, It's funny from what I see on father's small dish the programming is still mainly US based when it comes to movies, sitcoms and educational content. So, I don't see what the beef is with the CRTC in Canada, they never really accomplished a DanG thing with their regulations.  ::)  I'll keep my big dish for now, and freedom of choice ta boot.  ;D

buck5611

I have a 10 foot dish with a Uniden videocipher analog reciever.I had it for about ten years without problem.After four years of use, every french channel went digital so I switch for cable but continu to use the dish mainly because I couldn't get the "Outdoor Channel" on cable.This was a very reliable system and the picture quality was at least as good as digital reciever. Now I am with Bell Express Vu and experience loss of signal during heavy rain wich never occured with my big dish.Now my big dish is unused and I plan to dismantle it now that the "Outdoor Channel" is also gone digital. Carol

SwampDonkey

buck:

I have the exact system and am now going digitial with the 4dTV system which has VC-II+ included,plus digital and MPEG decoding. I should have the used receiver (2 yrs old) by this week. The outdoor channel can be picked up with this unit on X4, transponder 421

cheers

buck5611

does this mean that you will be using the digital receiver with your old big dish? how much for a digital receiver? Is "Outdorr Channel" still available for free? thanks. Carol

SwampDonkey

A brand new 4dTV is around $800 USD (model 922), but used ones can be picked up off eBay for $300-400 USD. Make sure its the 922 model. The outdoor channel is no longer free. The 4dtv works with the big dish and has VC2+ card, digicypher and Mpeg modules.

4dTV from eBay - here

4DTv Sales - here

4DTV channels - here

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!