iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

using a stihl chainsaw chain on a husqvarna saw

Started by huskey guy, May 04, 2014, 01:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskey guy

hello every one
new guy here modified the name for it to work but anyway
i have got a husqvarna 340  saw with an 18" bar on it  and i need a new chain for it i have herd that stihl chains are good so i bought one thinking that i had the right one i purchased a 66 link chain but it doesn't fit it is way to big . ??? i would like to try the stihl chains but i don't know what one to get for it. any help would be very help full
husqvarna 340 18" bar

BargeMonkey

Big question is,
.050 .325 chain right ? The stihl bars maybe a touch longer. Does the chain actually fit the bar or did you buy a 3/8 chain ?  Dont know much about the small stihl chain, only used the harvester stuff. If you go to baileys website they have a chart showing whats compatible with your saw.

goose63

Look on the bar it will tell you what you need number of drive links gage and pitch
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

timberlinetree

We use sthil Cains on husky no problem. Good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sawguy21

First of all welcome to the FF. Your 340 uses .325 chain, did you purchase 3/8 by mistake? Secondly, gauge is important, check the numbers on the bar. Your saw very likely takes .058, the most common on Husky here in western Canada. Stihl is usually .050. You would need 25 RSC or RMC which few Stihl dealers stock.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

huskey guy

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 04, 2014, 12:47:23 PM
First of all welcome to the FF. Your 340 uses .325 chain, did you purchase 3/8 by mistake? Secondly, gauge is important, check the numbers on the bar. Your saw very likely takes .058, the most common on Husky here in western Canada. Stihl is usually .050. You would need 25 RSC or RMC which few Stihl dealers stock.
yep i bought 3/8" with 66 drive links when my bar says i need .325 with 72 drive links
husqvarna 340 18" bar

BargeMonkey

Go online, and order the oregon or woodland pro chain from baileys. Ive found the stihl chain to be a touch sharper, but on my processor in .068 it stretched alot. I bet the stihl dealer will get you 2x as much for chain than baileys.

Southside

Barge Monkey is right, Baileys is great, I just got a replacement spool for my Spencer tape from them, and I buy my harvester chain from them, but for saw chain I go to Amazon, my 20" chains are under $20.00 and the 24" are about $2.00 more. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawTroll

This isn't about Stihl chain on a Husky, but about getting the wrong pitch.

Before buying a chain, you need to know the pitch, gauge and dl count that your bar takes - the brand of the chain isn't a factor by itself, regarding fit-up.

Information collector.

BobbyG

Quote from: huskey guy on May 04, 2014, 01:47:40 AM
hello every one
new guy here modified the name for it to work but anyway
i have got a husqvarna 340  saw with an 18" bar on it  and i need a new chain for it i have herd that stihl chains are good so i bought one thinking that i had the right one i purchased a 66 link chain but it doesn't fit it is way to big . ??? i would like to try the stihl chains but i don't know what one to get for it. any help would be very help full

My smaller saw is a Husky 345 with a 16" bar.

Chain specs

Pitch: .325
Gauge: .050
Drive Links: 66

My guess is your bar might be too long for this size chain but you indicate the chain you bought is way to big for the 18" bar.

sawguy21

The last post was over three years ago, he probably has it figured out by now.  ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!