iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar and Ash markets in Ontario

Started by Rob30, October 24, 2017, 10:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

Looking for leads for poplar and ash saw log market in Ontario. I have a lot of both species. Some of the poplar is vaneer quality, but I have a lot of saw log quality as well.

hacknchop

Hi Rob whereabouts in northern Ontario are ya?
Often wrong never indoubt

ehp

popular is not worth a lot here but good ash is , where are you from as trucking will be the main factor , ash here is pretty much done with the EAB so mills are looking else where for good ash

Rob30

Hi Guys
I am on the north side of Algonquin park, actually not far from Columbia forests Rutherglen operation. I was pretty disappointed they are not taking poplar. However the buyer there told me that when they do buy poplar it is all shipped to Hearst. Which in my mind means poplar would still be worth nothing because that is a long way to ship logs.

ehp

your not to far north then, I use to live just south of you for 40 plus years , if you got good ash it worth money as we have very little down south here as 95% has EAB

Rob30

EAB is starting to tale its toll here, but we still have some good stands of Ash. Is there a way of telling when a tree is infested, or is it just a case of cutting healthy looking trees? I have been cutting lots that were flooded by a beaver dam and killed. No signs of borer that I have seen yet, but I don't know if it would be hard to tell in fire wood.

ehp

Pretty easy Rob, look at the bark on the tree, you should have mainly white ash and good white ash in your area , if the bark has big white colour spots on the tree that is a sign or bore , also pull the bark off the tree , you should see kind of trail like paths all over outside of the wood part. If the tree had any leaf left on it you should be good to go but get it cut before the tree gets much worse

Thank You Sponsors!