iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame bent/ truss design

Started by dbarron, October 19, 2017, 04:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbarron

I am planning on building a timber frame 16 X 28 porch. It is I'll be attached to an existing stick frame house, off the gable end.  After the frame is completed, I plan on covering the house and the new porch frame with a common metal roof.  The bents will span the 28ft direction. The existing structure has a food pitch of 4.8 , I want to match this pitch with the new frame. The trouble I am having is that if I do drawings to scale, the bents / trusses don't look right. All the designers seem to be too crowded, or just not aesthetically appealing to me. Anyone have any advice for designing bents with low pitched roofs? Pictures would be great. Thanks!

dbarron

I work third shift, so I am going to catch a few zzzzz, so I may not answer back right away, but I will check back later in the evening. Thanks!

fishfighter

Your post would get responses in the Timber framing threads. ;D

rl

what are bents....been a builder all my life but never heard that term
rl

dbarron

Oops, sorry I will repost my question on the timber framing board.

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: rl on October 19, 2017, 05:38:48 PM
what are bents....been a builder all my life but never heard that term

Traditional timber frames are typically built as frame cross sections called "bents" and independently raised.  This is an example of raising a bent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0MYCKcN-g
e aho laula

Don P

Try lowering the tie and then to lower the spreading thrust bring the posts way in to give a very generous "overhang", moving towards balancing much of the rafters load over the posts

Edit: this is along the lines of what I've been thinking;

dbarron

Good Idea, I may play around with similar designs. Thanks for the advice!

Thank You Sponsors!