iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita Beam saw replacement shoe.

Started by VictorH, October 25, 2017, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictorH

So after noticing what I believed was a Makita 16" beam saw in the background of a pic for a local auction.  I went and am now the happy owner of a somewhat bruised, gold colored saw.  Had to give $20.00 for it  ;D.  I paid $30.00 for a 50" one or two man hand saw - go figure.  So anyway having read on here and other forums about a replacement shoe (that is no longer available) Is there someone here who has this elusive shoe, and would be willing to take pics of it so I can make one.  Thanks in advance

Brad_bb

I think you mean the machined aluminum base.  I have one for my gold saw that I haven't installed yet.  I wonder if Jim Rogers knows who was making them and if they are still going to be available.  I heard they stopped selling tools through the timber framers guild, which is where they were selling the bases.  Jim has timber frame tool list for sale in the for sale section.  Send him a message and see what he knows.  If they aren't available, get back to me and I'll dig my base out to measure.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

VictorH

Hi Brad

Yes the base - which is called the shoe.  I'll ask Jim about them and let you know.  Thank for being willing to get pictures if needed.

Jim_Rogers

I just sent an email to the previous maker of the after market saw base/shoe.
I'll let you know if he replies to me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

flyingparks

I have the same saw. I also have the old Makita 10". I find that I use the 10" more than the 16". It is really hard for my to get a square cut with the big boy. I wish the shoe was switched around to the wider more stable section was on the opposite side. I think that would solve the problem.

VictorH

Yes I don't imagine I'll use it often, but for $20.00 I couldn't pass it up.  Can you take pic's of your shoe on your saw?  If I end up having a new one laser cut I could extend it further as you suggest.

flyingparks

$20?? thats quite a deal. I bought mine for $200 and it needed some truing. I'll PM you some photos later today/tonight.

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so just today I got a reply from the aftermarket base supplier. He is still making them and here is what he send me about the base:

I do still make the replacement sawbase for the 16" Makita. The price varies slightly if you have the model 5402NA (new blue) or 5402-A (old gold). The base and adapter kit is complete for the blue Makita model 5402NA. For the older gold model 5402-A I need to include an additional rear bracket for $15. The total cost is $400 (for the base/adapter kit) plus $15 (rear bracket) plus $18.85 (USPS shipping).  If you want to order one I will need your USPS mailing address.

Thanks for your inquiry,

The maker's name is Lon Tyler and his company is in OR.
Forum ruled say I can't post his email address or his phone number.
But you can get it from his web page, which you should be able to find with a simple google search, I did.
Please tell him that you got his info from me.

Thanks.
If anyone wants his email address or webpage address email or PM me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

VictorH

Thanks Jim

I'll have to decide if I want to spend $400+ on a saw I bought for $20.00 and may not use too often.  I have replaced the cord on it as the ground on the original was missing.  Also got a carbide tip Oldham blade for under $100.00 and it cuts really nicely.

Thank You Sponsors!