iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

basic lathe knowledge

Started by ely, October 24, 2017, 09:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

fellas, I use to run a lathe in school many years ago,but now I'm old and I have forgot a lot. I started out making a carvers mallet yesterday I got it done without any incidents. but as I was working I realized I didn't know how far away from the work a person should keep the tool rest. it seemed like if I turned it down and got 1/2 inch away it just didn't feel good to me. I felt lots more comfortable with the tool rest sliding just behind the chamfer on the tool. anybody have any general rule of thumb for that?
I started out pretty slow at about 1000 rpm, and I speeded up to around 1600 when I got the stock rounded. does this sounds even close to right? it is an old Rockwell lathe like we used in school.

Texas Ranger

only observation I can make, no loose shirt sleeves.  Don't ask.  ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Stuart Caruk

The closer the steady rest is to the work, the less torque that can be applied to your tool to try to rip it out of your hand. Think of the steady rest as the fulcrum, the tool as the lever, the spinning wood as the force.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Kbeitz

I keep mine as close as I can to the work...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WLC

I'm like Kbeitz, I keep the rest as close to the work as possible.  And no loose shirt sleeves either. 
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

ely

thanks guys I knew it just felt better that way.

Thank You Sponsors!