iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snake ID

Started by 4x4American, October 23, 2017, 07:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Can any of you help me identify what kinda snake this is?  Looks like a baby.  I'm in rattlesnake country btw if that helps, of upstate ny.

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size]
Boy, back in my day..

coalsmok

Not sure what it is but I don't think it's poisonous. Maybe just the photo angle but the head doesn't look right for a rattlesnake.

4x4American

No I dont think its a rattler either.  It had some heck of an attitude too, coiled right up and started biting my uncle when he was trying to pick it up
Boy, back in my day..

curdog

Looks like a juvenile black rat snake... but juvenile snakes can be a little tough for id.

4x4American

Quote from: curdog on October 23, 2017, 08:14:29 PM
Looks like a juvenile black rat snake... but juvenile snakes can be a little tough for id.

I looked them up, looks exactly right, thank you!
Boy, back in my day..

coxy

I didn't think we had rat snakes in ny    i thought it was a small milk snake

DelawhereJoe

Cute little baby black snake, I've been finding them every where right now. Had to save a teach from one a few weeks back, it had made its way into her room. It wasn't very happy when I first approached it, but after I picked it up it calmed right down and was trying its best to pull all the heat out of my finger that it could. The next snake showed up before my shift started and it wasn't so lucky. I also just pulled a pencil sized grass snake from out of the cafeteria tonight. 
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: curdog on October 23, 2017, 08:14:29 PM

I agree, there's a type of King snake that looks similar but that looks like a young black rat snake to me.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

4x4American

Welp we've seen 5 of these little buggers in the past two days.  Been picking them up and warming them up.  Their little teeth haven't been able to puncture our skin (yet).  Yawl are good..  There is a snake doctor guy two houses up from the sawmill and he gave me positive ID on them being a juevenille rat snake Elaphe obsoleta. 
[/size]
[/size]
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

So now you have no rats or mice then.  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

I wish!  I had a mouse or something die somewhere buried in the cab of the cat.  It stunk to the high heavens for a good while in there at least a few weeks.  Can still kinda smell it.  And the best part was I had one die somewhere in the house too that I couldn't find during a similar time period so for awhile all I was smelling was dead mice. 

Last summer I had a youth black rat snake hanging around the mill for a couple weeks and I kept picking him up and putting him inside the main tube of the sawmill to go get any mice in there.  He would come out while I'm sawing and I'd do all I could to not step on him.  He'd hide in my lumber piles and surprise me too.  It was fun while it lasted.  I much prefer the rat snakes over the rattle snakes...have seen too many of them around the mill as well.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Snakes are lazy, Don't have time to grow hands and feet.  :D
Maybe you need a mill cat.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

In my experience the poison snakes in my area has chubby cheeks.
If the head is the same size as the body then they are not poison.
So if the head is kinda diamond shape keep away...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

caveman

All of the native poisonous snake in North America, except the coral snake, have vertically elliptical pupils (if you care to get close enough to look).

It is a little blurry so it may not show up well but this yellow rat snake that is eating a small rabbit has round pupils.

If any of you have the ability to zoom in on this water moccasin, you may be able to see the difference in the pupils.  I have some better pictures of their eyes but they are not in my gallery.
Caveman

coxy

was talking to a guy this morning that lives in rattle snake country and he told me that about 30years ago a guy killed one with a rock to its head a few hours later he started getting sick and found a red spot on his chest after going to the doc they dug part of the fang out of his chest  :o  :-\

Woodcutter_Mo

Here's a small snake my dad found the other day, I believe its a young pygmy rattle snake. The head definitely has that pit viper look. I've personally never came across one here in Mo, the only rattle snakes I've found were timber rattlers.

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/35112/2017-10-13_17-47-23_386.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1509597528[/img
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Magicman

I have no idea especially about the snake's coloration pattern and I could not see the snake's head well enough.  A pygmy rattlesnake would have rattles.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

sure looks like a pygmy to me.   

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Savannahdan

It's been a lot of years but I remember being at the Boy Scout Camp I think it was near or on Lake Wappapello in Missouri and several of the pigmy rattlers being found.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 02, 2017, 11:20:10 AM
sure looks like a pygmy to me.   

Yup that looks identical. It was a very young snake so it probably just hadn't made rattles on its tail yet.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Savannahdan on November 02, 2017, 12:38:49 PM
It's been a lot of years but I remember being at the Boy Scout Camp I think it was near or on Lake Wappapello in Missouri and several of the pigmy rattlers being found.

U of Mo summer camp was just west of Wappapello, and yes, snake heaven.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!