iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WV Woodshed

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 11, 2017, 08:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I am building a woodshed to store firewood in. My wife has become convinced mushroom growing on damp firewood causes her breathing problems. She did not want me to build a cover over my woodpile in the backyard but agreed to a woodshed in the pasture and we will bring in firewood a trailer, cart or ATV basket load at a time as needed and as weather conditions permit.

I cut 4 locust poles, ripped 4 pine 2X12's into 8 2X6s for trusses and have been using up an assortment of stick lumber. I finished putting strips on for the metal roofing which should arrive tomorrow at my local feed store. Finished roof will be 15 wide X 12' long. Shed is about 12' wide X 10' deep and has about a 2' drop. Plumb and square become somewhat questionable using crooked poles but as nearly as I can tell the roof is square. I will find out when I put the metal on it. I will start on the walls tomorrow.

Not allowing my picture. I'll save and come back and see it can add it.

Nope - says critical error but no idea what the system wants. Maybe I can add it somewhere else.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

The locust will last!  I understand the plumb and square comment.  I have to shim girls since several poles in a row are .... well not in a row. ;D

Crusarius

your pictures are probably to large a file size. I had the same problem. Resize them and you should be fine.

WV Sawmiller

I will check on the sizing. I thought they were within spec but will see. I did get the back wall up and most of one side. My metal is in so fixing to go get it and will continue working on it this afternoon. May finish it if things go well and customer does not come check. Worst case I should finished and be stacking firewood by tomorrow.

One trick I learned on putting up the walls, which are cut on 45 degree angles to make the shed stronger and prevent ricking, is to first cut a triangle with 2-45 degree angles and nail that to the bottom and centered on my middle upright. This will help hold the other boards in place and make them easier to nail. After that I just measure the long side on the last board and cut the short side on the next one the same length till I reach or pass the ends then use the installed board length as the long side till I completely side that wall. Just cover the seam in the middle with a 1X4 and box in the ends to hide any imperfections there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Okay, must have been the size. I took the picture below and I see it is a lot smaller number of bytes and it loaded easily.

I finished 3 sides yesterday and got the metal. Put it on this morning and it worked nearly perfect. I started in the middle, laid a piece on either side to check the square and make sure it was not going to walk on me. It fit great so i screwed down each piece working my way outward to make sure it laid flat. I used a set to punch a small starter hole for each screw and torqued them till the washer started to squat a little then stopped before I squeezed it out.

Now I just need to finish some trim work to cover up the cuts where they did not line up absolutely perfect. It will not be hard to cover that although the shed is actually fully functional right now. I will probably add some more covering in the corners on the front for a little more stability, although realistically it is rock solid right now. I doubt I ever fully enclose the front but I could if I need to. Now I just need to restack some wood from the back yard and cut a few more loads including one dead ash about 35' from my new shed.

Howard Green

Dave Shepard

Looks good. I've been planning something that size to put next to my OWB. I'd like to have enough room to get a weeks wood under cover.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

The good part is it will also free up my backyard although we will have to transport wood a couple hundred yards but with ATVs and small trailers we (actually I) can do that about once a week.

I was thinking about the cost and except of the poles which came off my place and the lumber which came from my stock and was not my high value/fast moving stuff, I have less than $175 in the entire shed ($140 for the 15'X 12' metal, screws and a magnetic 1/4" nut driver) and $30-$35 worth of  nails.
Howard Green

samandothers

Came out great!  Your locust are very straight and consistent.  Mush around my place have lobes or are crooked.

WV Sawmiller

Sam,

You might want to look at that back inside corner again. Pretty doggone crooked. On the front two I sawed a corner on each to give me a little straight edge. The one on the other back corner was probably the best of the lot. I cut a lot of my best poles several several years ago and sold to a lady to make a pole barn over in Greenbrier County and some of the best ones I have left are still green and I am reluctant to cut them yet. A lot of our locust is getting soft spots in it and the old rock solid posts and poles we're used to are fast disappearing.
Howard Green

BigBurOak

Hey man, nice shed. I built a 12'x12' last year and sided it with random width 3/4 to 6/4 roughsawn oak which has worked perfectly; what did you side your shed with?
Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

WV Sawmiller

Mine is mostly sided from a pile of 4/4 X 10' & 12' tulip poplar. Probably a couple of random pieces of pine and ash thrown in for good measure. The rafters were some pretty 12' long WP 2X12's that I ripped into 2X6's.

For projects like this I can use stock that is good but not selling good.

I have my wood pile moved into it and may pull up the old cross ties I had for a bed and the posts on each end I had put up on my open air firewood stack. This will clean up and free up more space in my back yard. I have a 4X4 cart I can pull behind my ATV to transport the wood from the shed to the house which will fill my wood box for 3-4 days use on one trip.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!