iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A squeak, then a squeal!

Started by crowhill, October 23, 2017, 06:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowhill

I had my flat steel band wheels reground. Tried putting the drive wheel on without a dial indicator. Not close to true so had a bit of wobble. Got a dial indicator from my son and started over. Now this takes a lot of time for me to get it true. I get to sawing and then start hearing a squeak, can't figure it out. My brother-in-law comes over to borrow a trailer, says "squeaking, better grease it". I did so again. He leaves, I start back up, get up to speed, squeak is gone. Now it's a squealing! Stop, check things out, nothing is moving stiffly, or wobbly or loosely or hot! I happen to look at the inside of the cover on the drive side and see a circle of bright steel. Are you kidding me! Set screw on the key stock was loose and the wheel had slid over just enough to scrape the cover. I would have thought I'd tightened the screw and also tracking would be out enough to notice.. not!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Chuck White

Sawmill Gremlins!

Glad you got it figured out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!