iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Identifying wood from Old Log Cabin

Started by dcrice, October 22, 2017, 09:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcrice

New to this forum. I recently purchased an old log cabin from TN. and trying to identify the wood type of these logs.  Most are fairly heavy and the old bark is thin and "flakey".  The stack of logs in the last 3 or 4 pics are very light and solid.  Any help would be appreciated.

dcrice

dcrice

WDH

Need close-up pics of the end grain.  Use a razor knife to make a clean slice on the end grain.  What I see in the pics of the logs with bark looks like beech. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dcrice

Here are pictures of the end grain. First pic is from the logs that has the smooth, thin bark.  The last two are
end grains from the lighter weight wood.  I used a 10X Bosch & Lomb magnifying glass and took these pictures with my cell phone.  Thanks WDH!

WDH

I am sure that the first pic is beech.  Note the large medullary rays. 

The second pic looks like yellow poplar.  I see the marginal parenchyma that terminates the growth ring typical of yellow poplar and the magnolias.

The third pic looks like pine.  The latewood looks dark and dense, and I believe that I see resin canals that show up in the pic as little dots.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Danny, I truly enjoy your reply's to these posts.
I always learn something.
Now if I could just retain it...

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

dcrice

Thanks for the info again WDH. I was hoping the last two pics would be American Chestnut :)....any chance of that? If not, do you
have any pictures of end grains for American Chestnut that you could share?

WDH

Don P

Quote from: WDH on October 25, 2017, 07:16:11 AM
1.5 million

I aspire to a retention level of one in a million  :D

edit: I just realized what that was Congrats Forum!  smiley_striped_tophat

BradMarks

Just looking, seems the old log cabin has had some reworking done.  First pic with bark retained couldn't be as old as the wood in the last pics, could it?  Which would explain the species variation that WDH indicates.  Good luck on reconstruction!

Thank You Sponsors!