iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More information on cherry tree wood and Gingko Biloba trees

Started by Gingko, October 22, 2017, 09:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gingko

Hi, I arranged to have some trees removed on my parents' property as a courtesy to my parents who are moving nearby.  Without my permission the tree service took down an 115 year old healthy Gingko Biloba tree to remove a tall dead cherry tree they had identified to remove.  They hauled both the cherry and the Gingko Biloba tree off.  How much were these two woods worth?  Looking for information on both the value of the cherry tree and more information on Gingko Biloba trees. Are they endangered or not any more?  The property still has a female Gingko Biloba tree.  Will it still produce fruit?
I am so saddened this happened.  And I am trying to understand why.
Thanks, Molly

d1hamby

Fake tree people. Unlicensed tree service is a huge problem in the U.S. they tend to cause many unsafe conditions. Make sure you get a licensed tree service to come check for unsafe conditions on the property.
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

low_48

You should probably call your county extension office, they can get you in contact with a registered state forester.

ESFted

Molly,
Google the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and find a certified master arborist near you.  They are often expert witnesses in court cases involving wrongful cutting of trees and can often provide a means of assessing value beyond that of just the timber.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Logger RK

I haven't heard of a gingko biloba tree. Would you happen to have a picture of one? I'm wondering where they grow?

WDH

Native to China.  Introduced to US as as an ornamental tree.  Wood is soft and not really good for lumber. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=122
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

d1hamby

It is the oldest living species of tree.
"Revered for its beauty and its longevity, the ginkgo is a living fossil, unchanged for more than 200 million years."
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

Ianab

The Ginko wont be "valuable" from a commercial wood value point of view.

They are a very interesting tree, being an actual "living fossil" that falls into neither the hardwood or softwood group.

The value in this case is the "amenity" value, it was an old mature tree that was an asset on your property. As such it can have a quite high value (it will take 100 years to get a similar one in it's place). Actually setting that value can be problematic, and might involve qualified arborists and property lawyers. 100 years isn't "old" for a Ginko, they can live for up to 1,000 years. So chances are the tree wasn't one that was near the end of it's life.

QuoteI haven't heard of a gingko biloba tree. Would you happen to have a picture of one? I'm wondering where they grow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba

They are originally from China, but are now a common ornamental in many parts of the world. I have a small one in my back garden here in NZ. So the "endangered" on Wikipedia refers to the original wild forest in China. The species is now so widespread it's not going away any time soon.

As an aside, there are still 6 Ginko trees growing in Hiroshima that survived the 1945 bomb blast.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Autocar

Years ago a house in my area a sold and the new owner took down a Ginko tree I asked them if the wanted it and they gave it to me. I cut two 16 foot logs plus the top log out of it. I have shelving boards in our home I sawed  16 inches wide. Every time I drive past that house I think what a shame, I also saw a new home owner take down a Japenesse Maple it was around twelve feet high and spread out probably 12 feet it was beautiful ,a local nursery told me they would of paid seven grand for it and would of moved it with a tree spade.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!