iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basic question from a newbie

Started by cansel, October 22, 2017, 10:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cansel

I'm planning to build a log home in a few years and am working out the basic logistics. Assuming I am able to find 24" diameter logs around NB, Canada or New England, what's the longest they can be to fit on a truck for long haul transportation?

Thanks

snowstorm

From someone that built a log home 40 yrs ago. Mine is cedar and I think that is the only way to go. I have spruce roof purlins with t&g.pine over that then foam then a air space then anvanta tec.the walls are all cedar with 2 t&g. The cedar was sawed 4 sides on the addition 3 sides on the original.  All interior walls are t&g pine. They are not the easiest style to heat but I don't like sheetrock and I have none

mike_belben

They can be as long as your wallet with oversize permits.   Legal loads are 53' or less.
Praise The Lord

starmac

If they are hauling on a  53 ft flat with bunks, they should be able to overhang 4 foot on the back and some amount in the front. This does depend on the state and even in some areas of some states. I am not sure about your area.

Here on my regular log truck I have hauled 65 footers to house builders, any longer I have to have a pilot car, so it gets spendy.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Grizzly

talk to Day & Ross who have headquarters in New Brunswick. I've dealt with them on and off over the years and have found them to be a reputable business. They'll have access to their own trucks as well as a large number of partner companies to get quotes from. Don't shape the house to basic limits as long loads are easy just sometimes a little pricey. You won't need many long loads though. Just my thought.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

cansel

Great! Thanks for all the tips. Very useful

Thank You Sponsors!