iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar

Started by xlogger, October 04, 2017, 12:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

What makes Poplar get the colors we call Rainbow Poplar? I've heard minerals in soil and some said just very large poplar. Also can you id a log that has it in it?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

I don't know but I like the way Tulip Poplar looks.
we used it on the interior of our cabin addition.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

xlogger

I read up on it this morning and see where it is the minerals in the soil that causes the color. But still wondering if you can look at a log end and tell about the color in it? I cut one awhile back and didn't know till I cut it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

PA_Walnut

I have about 10K feet of logs by the mill that I'm about to cut...old growth stuff in a really nice/clean forest with LOTS of rocks, etc. (minerals).

I'll keep an eye out and keep you informed. Gonna have poplar coming outta my ears soon!  ::)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

nativewolf

My whole forest is turning out to be rainbow poplar.  Strange stuff because you can buck it, and it is clear at the butt.  Go 32 feet up and the mineral stain starts right at the heartwood.  Very very strange.  At first I thought it was iron in the butt of the first 2 logs we cut but it was confined to the center, could not figure out why someone put iron in a 3" tree.  Skip forward and the loading deck is full of, what I now know to be, rainbow poplar. 

I understand that you won't get any grade reductions for Rainbow Poplar.  Which is good news for our logger because otherwise he's got 2 truck loads of quality poplar ready to go, maybe $600/thousand.  Not much for good poplar. 
Liking Walnut

xlogger

PA_Walnut

Got 2,000 feet of poplar logs lined-up at the mill last night. Time to busta-move and get sawing! Waiting for the daylight.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Here is a previous Poplar job that sawed 3847 bf:  LINK  Poplar being a very favorite species to saw.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

Magic,
That's a nice little jag of poplar! The aroma sure is pleasant when sawing! Please see my just posted thread about stress cracks...I'm sure you'll have the answer!   ??? Thanks.

p.s. My pile is gonna WAY exceed my 2000' comment. That was just lined-up at the mill yesterday. I have about another 10K to go.  :o
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!